Journal Entry # 1: The Process/Interview

Monday October 20th I was contacted
Thursday October 23rd I was interview

Finding an Internship was a very different experience than anything I have went through in my other courses. The search required me to be a little more aggressive and persistent than when tackling a school assignment. The process began with building my online portfolio. Although I am in an art and advertisement major I wanted my portfolio to be geared towards photography. I chose square space to build my online portfolio because it was quick and easy to build with the time I was given to find an internship. Also during building the portfolio I also created some quick business cards. They came out better than expected, but I will be soon redesigning them. After I got that out of the way I signed up to internships.com and also a school website that helped you search for jobs. I was disappointed that my was the least help out of everything I attempted.

Eventually, I was contacted by propNspoon (internships.com) and the first thing they asked for was about my skills in photoshop. This sounded promising, but also made them sound just a little desperate. I explained to them my level of experience. Later I was emailed by them to attend an interview. When I arrived I was greeted by the receptionist, she gave me the job application to fill out. I ran into a brick wall when I reached the last page of the application. It required me to know different terminologies regarding furniture. I was then interviewed by Sheri Robbins (director of sales and operation of propNspoon). She immediately quizzed me on the page about the furniture. I quickly explained I wasn’t familiar with everything on that page. She allowed me the opportunity to study the terminologies for next week. After that she went through my online portfolio. She was amazed by the images and questioned me on how I lit some of them. She once again asked about my photoshop experience. When she asked in the email I was under the impression that I was going to be working with people. I am still learning skin retouching techniques. Between the email and the interview I researched them and found out I was going to be working with furniture. This made my life easier since I have the skills to do simple retouching. After that Sheri explained that I would be working with another intern and a freelancer who would walk us through lighting the furniture and composing. She then gave me the schedule: Wednesday I would be working with the intern from 10-6pm and Fridays I would be working with the inter and freelancer from 10-6pm. I was then dismissed and set to start the Friday coming (They were still in the process of building a small studio). Lastly I was emailed to bring food for the lunch break and extra layers of clothes because the warehouse gets very cold.