Internship: Week 1

Journal Entry # 3: First Day On The Job

October 31st

Two days before the first day at propNspoon I emailed Sheri Robbins asking about the dress code. To my surprise there wasn’t anything specific. All that was required was blue jeans and warm clothes due to the lack of heat in the warehouse.

On my official first day I noticed that different employees were dressed differently. The receptionist, Robbins and Klein were dressed formal as well as three other sales employees. The employees working in the shipping area were dressed less informal. Jenny(other intern) and I were also dressed informally. I noticed it was a really relaxed environment, it wasn’t as strict as I imagined it would be.

The other sales employees each had their own desk and worked in the area before entering the big maze of rental goods. The employees seemed pretty relaxed and got along with the CEO/founder Dyann Klein. I could imagine this is because their usual work day begins with a nice warm cup of free coffee (they have a coffee station). I’m not sure how much break time the other employees are allowed to take for lunchtime, but Jenny and I were given an hour and we were allowed to order food to be brought in. I was really happy about this hour break because in my other job as a busser my lunch break is barely 5 minutes or I don’t get one if there isn’t another busser watching the floor while I eat.

Aside from all of that, it was really easy to talk with Klein and she was very kind assuring us that if Jenny and I needed any help that she be the first one to go to. She would also check on our progress during the day and give us constructive criticism on our photographs. The reason she was taking that task was because the freelancer that was originally going to work with us bailed the last minute on them. This was unfortunate for them and us the interns. Klein provided us with the lighting equipment and luckily I had my camera (I take it everywhere).

Jenny and I ran into a lot of issues during shoots. We found that we had lots of natural light spilling into our images as well as the tungsten light above us. Also, we found that the light equipment they provided us were very weak lighting sources. We eventually worked around these obstacles and worked as a team to solve most of them. Finally, we had trouble uploading the images to their computer. We also had trouble opening them to edit. Klein and Robbins were very proud of our first day despite the troubles we ran into. They explained to us that we