Internship: Week 2

Journal Entry # 4: Day Two

Wednesday November 5th

Day Two, Jenny (Intern) and I are still doing the work load on our own. We were told that propNspoon is still in the process of hiring a freelancer to help us out. Jenny and I had a very successful first day, but since most of it was trial and error it lead us to redo certain furniture on the second day. We flew through the list of furniture we were asked to photograph, but we still had some issues similar to the first day. One of them being the two lights above our mini studio. We were promised those would be turned off, but weren’t. We also have lots of natural light interfering with our lights. Jenny and I are working with very week lights, we really have no say in it, but we both agree strobes would be the way to go rather than continuous lights. Despite these small issues we still kept our heads high and kept working.

At the moment moving the heavier furniture is the most annoying part of the process. Many of the shipping people who move the heavier stuff are to busy to help Jenny and I move the stuff. We are also enjoying our 45 minute lunch break. I forgot to mention they have an air hockey table in the break room. It is weird though because we haven’t seen any of the other employees play.

The day ended with the last 45 minutes of the day with some editing. We also had to show all the shots we had taken that day to Dynn. She is a bit difficult to work with because she is very picky with the images. She is looking for the perfect angles and the perfect lighting. Most of the images don’t come out as as good as they could because of the interfering light. We explained this to her, and she somewhat understood.

Journal Entry # 5: Furniture Log and Website

Thursday November 6

On the second day I was asked by Sherri if I could come by Thursday for two hours to learn how to upload to the website and how to insert the taken photos to their log. I got to meet their graphics person Michelle. She was very great to learn from. Michelle is very big on organization and taught me how to stay on top of it all. She began by explaining that all unedited photographs go into an unedited photographs folder. After that all the edited psds are saved in a singles edited, and there is also a singles jpeg folder. Next you have the folders with the different sizes for the website. The website uses 600×600, 250×250 and 140×140. Each photograph is named according to its number which can be found on the tag. All furniture have a number and is then used as the file names.

Michelle then proceeded and showed me how to upload to the website.  The method used is first to store the edited images to Fetch. Each size that was made has its own folder on Fetch. After that we visited the admin page on their website. It was easy to plug in the file name to the template. All we did was insert the file name and the dimension of the furniture.

As for their Log we can upload any unedited photograph that is tiny. The Log is on their google drive. The good thing about this Log is that it keeps track  of photos already photographed or not. This Log also shows which ones are on the website already.

Next Thursday do a little more than 2 hours. Now that I have this Knowledge I was told to share with Jenny.

Journal Entry # 6: Day Four

Friday November 7th

This morning we began the day photographing more furniture. The list we were given also contained items that weren’t left for us upfront. When we asked about them we were told we had to hunt them down. Jenny and I did so after photographing. I also forgot to mention that all of these photos are done in collaboration. We take turns, one day I’ll do the light set up and she’ll photograph and the other day I’ll photograph and she’ll do the lights. We also critic each other’s work and give each other suggestions. We also move furniture around. We’ve also learned to work with the shipping employees. We introduced ourselves to them and they help us locate some of the items. When the item is big they help us bring it to the front. When the item is small Jenny and I take it on a thing that I don’t know the name of, but it gets the job done. Today we didn’t finish a bed we were supposed to do because it needs to be built. We were told to photograph it the following day.