Internship: Week 4

Journal Entry # 10: Smalls

Wednesday November 19

Today I began on what Props for Today calls “smalls”. Smalls are just small pieces such as vases, plates, pots, etc. Sheri and Dynn already had a small light box ready for us to use. This small light box is a white box where you place the smalls in. The light gets diffused by the box, and since these items are very small, the three lights worked very well. I was the only one there because Jenny had job related issues. I felt a little weight lifted in her absents. It isn’t that she is a bad partner nor that she is a bad photographer. I’ve always worked best on my own my whole life. I’m usually harsher on my own work and this causes me to produce some good stuff in the end. I feel that when I work in a group I’m too nice when it comes to critics. The point of the matter is that I was fully satisfied with the outcomes of this particular day.
I shot all day long by myself and I enjoyed it very much. After this Sheri had a talk with me about the log and began to lecture me about organization. She found that some of the files on the computer did not match with what was put on the log. I resolved the solution by searching for the files. It turns out most of them were fine and the other few weren’t edited yet, which meant they weren’t saved as the item number, they still had their original file names. Soon after, time just ran out.

Journal Entry # 11: Editing Smalls

Thursday November 20

After photographing shooting smalls the previous day, Maggy and I began editing them. It was easier to edit the photographs because the lights provided were bright enough for the small items. The only difficult part was editing white or shiny smalls. I later found out the small white box for the smalls brought a black fabric that has velcro to attach to the box to make contrast with the white or shiny smalls. This would have been immensely helpful to the editing process. Somehow we managed with the pen tool and got away with it this time.

Journal Entry # 12: Meeting New Employees

Friday November 21

Today Jenny and I were informed that Dyann’s Partner was going to be in today working. We were told that he usually doesn’t show up and to be mindful of transporting delicate items to the mini studio. It wasn’t long enough before we ran into the man’s negative vibe. We just finished photographing a piece and we weren’t told there was glass that attached to it. He was very rude not introducing himself to us and his manner in telling us there was glass to the piece was also very unpleasant. He told us to shoot it again and to call him when we set it up so he can make sure we are doing it right. I was a bit bothered because I thought Dyann was calling the shots, even though he is her partner I felt like he would be a bit clueless since he hasn’t been there in a while according to Sheri. Later Sheri was told by Dyann about the encounter Jenny and I had. Sheri told us to ignore him because he is a bit off most of the time.