Prof. Mary Brown | COMD 1162 - E058 | Spring 2024

01 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to two questions posted. Use the comments section below. Your response should be a minimum of 300 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade.

Question 01 –

You need to create a logo which will be used in various applications for a client. What application Illustrator or Photoshop would you choose?

Question 02 –

Why would you make that choice?

1. Kayla Martinez

Vector graphics are best for logos, therefore I would use Illustrator to develop the logo for the client. I would make this choice because if the client needed the logo to be adjusted and fit on a billboard, I could keep the image quality no matter the size.

2. Jada Metivier

I would use Illustrator to create the Logos. I decided that I would use Illustrator because it would be much easier to design a logo . Furthermore, using Illustrator would allow for more creativity and more options. You can either choose for a design to be printed, video, or digital.

• Stevie Zamora

Hi Jada! I completely agree that Illustrator is a good choice for creating a logo. However, I think Photoshop provides comparable or identical tools that allow for equal or more creativity and options. Since both vector and raster logos can be displayed in digital and printed forms, your argument could be strengthened by focusing more on their differences and how these would meet or overlook your client’s goals.

• Esther

Hey Stevie! I completely agree with your argument. However, I don’t know too much about using photoshop and adobe illustration. I just mainly know that illustration can be used for designing and photoshop can be used for editing. I would like for you to educate me more on this if you don’t mind.

3. Melanie

when it comes to creating logos I would use illustrator. using illustrator will allow the creator to scale the logo to any size with no loss of quality guaranteeing a good logo for the client.

• Marharyta

Agree with your answer, this is the main reason why we would use Adobe Illustrator. Despite other reasons, this is the most important one.

4. Stevie Zamora

I would use Illustrator to create a logo which will be used in various applications. Since Illustrator uses scalable vectors, the logo and its components will continue to look sharp at any size from business cards to billboards. This also applies to changes in color and shape, making it the ideal form for future iterations. Adding to its versatility, vector logos are not restricted to a rectangular shape like a raster logo on Photoshop would be. Therefore, they can be placed over other objects and both will be displayed. One use case for this could be to visually communicate a collaboration with another company. Moreover, the generally small file size is a digital advantage as it will load more quickly online. In contrast, the larger file size of a raster image will require compression so the logo would be displayed at a lower resolution to load at the same rate. This could potentially detract costumers from the company’s website which will have negative financial consequences as the online marketplace is increasingly becoming the primary shopping destination. When it comes to physical printing, vectors remain the superior format due to their resolution independence. This means that the sharpness of the logo is correlated to the resolution of the printer, whereas the print quality of a raster image depends on the resolution of that image. Since their large file sizes often require compression, attaining a high quality printed image is more difficult. Although vector and raster objects can be easily converted into one another, a vectorized image cannot easily depict the continuous subtle tones of a photograph while a rasterized logo will preserve the solid areas of color or gradients of its vector counterpart. Ultimately, a vector logo created on Illustrator would be more useful due to its adaptability, sharpness, and compact data storage.

• Tyheim

I agree with Illustrator, to me personally illustrator is more reliable for logo design, but photoshop can add on to the design.

• Artiste

I agree with you Stevie! I also feel like you put this answer together better than I could’ve lol. I totally forgot that vector graphics can be cool, funky shapes. Raster graphics being restricted to the rectangular shapes only reminded me of their pixels, thanks for the reminder!

5. Jewel N.

I would use adobe illustrator because you can create a logo of your own rather than edit other pre-loaded logos. The vector graphics will contribute to this because you can scale the logo to your size preference as well as it having a higher resolution.

• Kayla Martinez

Hey Jewel, I completely agree! Logos have to be distinct and specific, so having a higher resolution is crucial. Also, vector graphics are not restricted to a background, so the logo can continue to evolve on Adobe Illustrator alongside client needs.

6. Tyheim

For question 1 I would use Illustrator only because I feel it more easier to use and makes sense since I know how to draw well and can illustrate the Logo whether the client wants it to be vector or raster. But then again photoshop can be used if a client prefers a photo or some realistic design for a logo.

7. Marharyta

I would definitely use Adobe Illustrator for creating logo. This program is the best for that task than Photoshop because Illustrator is program for creating and working with vector graphics and files. Logos in vector format keeps good quality for any reasons such as printing and web or social media. That’s because of vector files keep mathematical calculations and raster images are pixelated, when you change size of your file, image losses pixels, and where is why your image isn’t quality enough. Designers use Photoshop for raster graphics and images, because this program is the best tool for that kind of works like editing photos. Another reason is tools, Adobe illustrator has variety of features which helps to make vector lines and shapes for logo (and also manipulate with them), and the best part of that is time. Designer can create really fast and unique logo with Illustrator. However, it’s possible to make logo in vector with Photoshop, but it’s more complicated and longer, Photoshop doesn’t have enough features and tools for that. You can use in Photoshop same tool “pen” as in Illustrator and then export it as PDF or even export it to Illustrator, but there is no any sense.

8. Artiste

Since the client wants to use their logo across different applications, it would be best to use Illustrator to create their logo. Illustrator uses vector files which are created by lines and anchor points. Because of these lines and anchor points, if the clients wants to make their logo smaller for a mobile app or bigger for physical ads, there are mathematical calculations that allow the logo to be enlarged or shrunken and the quality of the logo will remain the same. Not only would Illustrator meet the client’s immediate needs, but it would also anticipate their potential future needs. 

Raster files, on the other hand, presents some limitations. If we were to use raster files, or photoshop, the quality of the logo would depend on the resolution of the logo. Raster files are created by pixels where every box represents a color and when they’re put together, they make up a tone. Raster graphics aren’t scalable and if the client wanted a sharper image, we’d have to utilize more PPI. If we use more PPI, the file would be too large and the client would have a hard time using the logo across different applications due to uploading times. If the logo were to be blown up in size, the quality of the image would not be as sharp and appear more pixelated. Raster files would be better suited for a photograph or something like web design for better control over the logo’s color. 

In this case, Illustrator seems to provide more flexibility for the needs of the client. If a specfic color or a photograpgh were to be used in their logo, then we’d probably choose Photoshop. However, we would be limited in using the logo acorss different applications either due to uploading or losing information and clarity in our logo.

• Enson

Hey Artiste, I completely agree with your answer. If you create a logo, you should use Vector graphics. Just the flexibility of scaling alone is a life changer. You don’t want a blurry pixelated image as your logo. This can result in a bad reputation for the company. Good work!

9. Wasik

Vector graphics is based on non pixelated lines based on Illustrator. Raster is based on pixelated and mostly in Photoshop. If you look at a zoom out logo, you might see the logos look the same but if you zoom in into a logo you might see a difference between the two.

10. Enson Zhou

If I were to create a logo for a client, I would use Vector Graphics. Vector Graphics are graphics that are created from lines and equations,compared to Raster graphics which are made up of pixels. Logos that are made with Vector Graphics are easily scalable to size. You can scale it up or down and the graphic, will still be sharp and clear. On the other hand, If you create a logo with Raster graphics it will be made up of many pixels. It does not give us the flexibilty to scale the logo. If the logo is scaled up or down, the graphic will start to be blurry or pixelated. This is not the ideal route for logo creation, It is ideal for pictures/images.

11. Hally

If I were to create a logo for my potential client I would use Adobe Illustrator rather then using Adobe Photoshop. The reason why I would use Adobe Illustrator is specifically for the vector graphics that it exports on file. It would be easier and it would be more logical than to use vector graphics while working on the logo. The pixels and quality of the logo would decrease if using raster graphics, which is when you use Adobe Photoshop or any pixel- based formats. The workspace would be more convenient since you would be able to scale the size and also be able to rotate it and basically do anything with the file or lines that are on that file without losing any sort of quality in the logo. Once you have a vector file you initally can do anything to the file without worrying about losing quality. While digtally the quality of the logo may seem good, physically the work may not carry the same quality. This is because of the PPI on the files on both formats. The higher the PPI the better the quailty will be. If I were working with others on a logo, hypothetically I would probably share the file with my team, but if I were to use a Photoshop file their revisons and touch ups will have lower quality. If I were to use a Illustrator file it would then not only be easier for my team to work on this project but the finishing product will also have better quality. An Illustrator file is more known as AI file and a Photoshop file is a PSD. You could hypothetically, use photoshop to make a logo but again the quality would be less and it just simply doesn’t seem like a good decison to do that since you would have to go through many more steps to refine that type of file.

12. Alaiza elsi

In this scenario, I would with the rest of you that using illustrator would be the best choice. If this logo is going to be used in various different ways than it needs to be scalable for various different formats. Even if the client wanted this same logo to be on a mug or on the side of a 20 story building. The logo will always be crisp clear and legible if made using vector graphics on illustrator.

13. Hilairyy

I would use Adobe Illustrator for creating logo because its wha I’m used to and its the most convenient out of the other options that I’ve used,Also this program is the better option for that task than Photoshop because Illustrator is programed for creating and making vector graphics and files. Logos in vector format keeps good quality for any reasons such as printing and social media, etc. That’s because of vector files are pixelated, when you change size of your file, which is why your image isn’t qualified enough. Designers also use Photoshop for better graphics and pictures, because this program is the best tool for editing photos, in my opinion. Another reason is tools, Adobe illustrator has variety of features which helps to make vector lines and shapes for logo.The best part of that is time. Designer can create really fast and unique logo with Illustrator. However, it’s possible to make logo in vector with Photoshop, but Photoshop doesn’t have enough features and tools like Adobe Illustrator does. Also, the logo would look more professional and be well edited