class meeting Wednesday Feb 23

What’s the point of language in a discourse community? How does it work? How can we show other people how it works? Writing good descriptions. Introductions and Conclusions. Shitty First Drafts. Reviewer’s Memos.

due by Saturday Feb 26 end of day

• Padlet: If you haven’t posted a picture and explanation about your discourse community yet, now would be the time to do that!
  • Perusall: The Intros and Conclusions video presentation is uploaded as an assignment, although it isn’t. Take a look at it, ask questions about introductions and conclusions if you have some. Or try out an idea about how to introduce your Portrait and I’ll give you feedback on it. Here’s a link to just the slides and not the video if you’d rather do it that way. You can still send me a text on Slack if you want to try something out.
  • Perusall: Anne Lamott’s “Shitty First Drafts” is also uploaded for you to look at. You do NOT have to annotate it.

due by Tuesday Mar 1 end of day

• Google Drive: Upload your first draft of the Portrait of a Word to the folder in our class Google Drive labeled “Portrait of a Word.” Be sure to attach a Reviewer’s Memo on the bottom of your draft. The Reviewer’s Memo is simply a note to whoever is going to be reading it that includes these three bullet points:
  • This is what I intended to do: Here’s why I wrote it. This is what I want people to take away from it.
  • This is how I feel about it so far: This is what I think is working.
  • This is what I think I need help with: for example, does it make sense? Does each paragraph address a single idea? Do I wander all over the place? Does the introduction hook the reader? Does the conclusion make a point or does it just stop?