Jacquelyn Blain

Sewayne Thompson

My experience being a Jamaican-American New Yorker took me a while to adjust to the languages spoken in both communities. Being placed in public school from a young age, you can immediately pick up on the language used on the day today. It changed my original accent from broken English-patois to a more socially accepted American accent to better fit in with my peers. I learned how to speak American English in school, but television also played a big part in it. All shows I watched were white casts and American actors, so it made it easy to learn that kind of way to communicate. New York itself has a specific jargon used. It changes from region to region. Learning the American accent was one thing, but understanding the New York-specific jargon was another. There were some words I would never use in my day-to-day because they didn’t feel natural coming out of me. When you don’t have any older or younger family saying it, it would feel disingenuous to use some terms. A particular accent also comes with saying some words- an accent that I didn’t possess; therefore, it wouldn’t sound correct. Having a primarily American accent did have its differences in New York as well. That would get you called “speaking propper,” which isn’t considered much of a good attribute. Then returning home to my family and cousins calling me American or “Yankee” because of the accent change did make me feel like I let them down or “sold out.” For the sake of fitting in, I sometimes think in a way you have to pick one or the other, or you are outcast from both. I don’tΒ  think fitting in is a bad thing either. We adopt a language to make communicating to other individuals around us simpler.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

This is an interesting situation for you to write about. As you say, I’m sure there are lots of people in the same situation — can you talk to a couple of them to get some more perspective on what it’s like to navigate between these language groups? Jamaican-American is definitely a discourse community, so I think you’ve got a good start on what to write about.