Jacquelyn Blain

Malik Alhammami-Klass

Some groups that I would say I’m a part of is the Muslim community and I would also say that I’m a part of the gaming community. I would also say that both these communities come with “languages” that you have to know. For the Muslim community, it comes with an actual language that big which is Arabic. All of the words you say for Islam such as when you pray or before and after you eat are in Arabic, so no matter where you are from the language you use in Islam is Arabic so that why you usually have to learn it or at least learn the word used in Islam. For the other group which is gaming you won’t have to learn an actual language such as Islam but like in “Shes your basic LOL in NAD” by Perri Klass there are lots of abbreviations that are used in the gaming community or words that you use that new people in the community would probably be confused about if they heard of it the first time. I learned The “language” that the gaming community just by really playing games and being a part of the community. When would I play I would hear a new word and learn the meaning of the words and eventually those words would be a part of my own vocabulary. an example of the words that would be used would be for example “AFK” which would just mean they weren’t currently t their controller of the keyboard. Another example would be the appreciation “DC” which means that the player disconnected from the match or session. These are examples of the “language” that’s used in the gaming community

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Two interesting choices. The Muslim community, however, is SO LARGE that I’ve had students in previous classes really struggle with how to write this specific paper about it. If there’s a particular practice or group that you’re involved with, that would make it easier. I’m not saying it’s not worth tackling, because it is — it’s just about how you frame it. The gaming community is a lot easier in some ways but just as hard in others since it, too, is SO LARGE. Again, it’s a matter of picking the slice of one of these you can really show us. We’ll talk more about it in class. You have what we call “an embarrassment of riches” here because these are both good ooptions.