Jacquelyn Blain

Klass

During elementary and middle school I was part of the discourse community of ESL students. An ESL student is a student whose primary language at home is other than English and would need extra support to develop good writing, speaking, and listening skills with the English language. My first language is spanish . I had to learn english when i was eight years old. Just arrive to new york city for the first time and in school being surrounded by students and teachers and school staff who only spoke english. I remeber crying a lot because i would feel lost, looked at different, judged and even made fun off. I used to have to go two times to an specifc classroom with a teacher who spoke english and spanish and she would teach me one on one. We will read books that are for toodlers. I will have to repeat things over and over like i was a toodler learning how to speak. I will also had to complete work but it was work of a 1st grader. I would ask my mother everyday i know how to speak and write and listen why do they treat me like im a toddler like I dont know anything. My mother would reply and say
” we are in a different country , where english is the language and this country will give you so many great opportunities for your future”. My mother will also cry a lot because she didnt know the language as well so she couldnt help me with aqssignment as she wished for , she would do the best she could. Learning english is very complictaed. Its also stresfful. For example There are many verbs that sound exactly the same used for different meanings. Words are said differently than from what they are written. They are many words that are similar in writing. The hardest thing for me was the pronunciation of words. I also have an accent , back then it was worse but the pronuncation with my accent will give me a harded time because it would sound different and many couldnt understand so i will repeat msyefl until i get it right and they understand. In the essay Klass states “

1. Jacquelyn Blain

This is such a difficult situation! To write about it for this assignment, you need to focus most on the ESL class, but it’s also important to write about the context — your family situation. I suspect you’re not the only one in this class who has been through something like this, so it will be interesting to see how you write about it.