Jacquelyn Blain

Junot Diaz-Oscar Wao

To be honest I found this excerpt very intense and interesting in some parts.What I found the most confusing or just had questions about was when he talked in plural, who was he talking about when he said “We”?and I also read a question by a classmate on Persual that was asking “how does fuku select the people to control?”and I ask myself that same question now because the text states “If you even thought a bad thing about trujillo, a hurricane will sweep your family to sea” what if some other people asked questions and decided to believe and say that fuku is a myth or some crazy idea of some human, what would happen to that person?. In the passage I clearly see that the author used a lot of descriptive language instead of just going straight to the point, for example, at the beggining he stated “They say it first came from Africa,carried in the screams of the enslaved” when he could have just said “Slaves..” . In my opinion he did this to make the readers think, and also to keep the reader interested, he used it in all the article but especially to get a good hook. To be honest at first I did not get get this whole fuku thing, as I started reading the article I found out thatfor the author and some other people fuku is like a curse, he made sure the reader knew that “even if you don’t believe in fuku he believes in you” in my opinion fuku is like unforseen events but people have diffrent believes.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

It’s great that you took the time to read this more than once; I can tell it helped because it seems to me you figured out a lot of it. Figurative language, by the way, is often hard for people, especially if it’s filled with ideas and language from a discourse community we’re not part of.