Jacquelyn Blain

Ethan Pruzhansky – Fuku

I was completely perplexed when I first read this story. I was curious how Fuku worked. For example, “Trujillo was the Curses servant or master, agent or principal.” I understand that Fuku is a curse, but how does it select its master? Trujillo, I’ve heard, was a truly evil man. A dictator who ruled the Dominican Republic in every conceivable way. Is Trujillo the only one under the Fuku’s control? Why can’t the Fuku control people who aren’t as powerful as him? This is the most perplexing aspect of it all. What if there were even more evil people in the Dominican Republic than him? Does this imply that they might be able to contain Fuku as well? Fuku cannot be the only curse; it is a Dominican cultural curse. What about the rest of the world’s countries? Which each have their own type of Fuku. I’m not sure how Fuku became such a popular belief. What if they people thatΒ weren’t a believer in Fuku or had never heard of it? Would they be affected in any way? Also, how did they come up with the word “Zafa” to prevent the Fuku? How did that word keep them safe, and did it always work? Is the word “Zafa” a way to cleanse yourself of all your sins? So many questions, but is there a correct answer to all of them? The Fuku is always hovering over us, ready to strike. Could there be a Fuku right now as a result of what is going on in the world? How can we tell if it was a mistake made by humans or if the Fuku is preparing to strike and is taking its time? Fuku can be deeply embedded in so many complex and varied levels of society right now and we wouldn’t even know.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Your comment about the idea of a curse being something that exists in all cultures (discourse communities) is very perceptive. It explains human behavior in a way, and we’re all trying to figure that one out, aren’t we? πŸ™‚