Jacquelyn Blain

Jose Perez – Junot Diaz excerpt fromΒ Oscar Wao.

Things I found difficult and confusing in the Junot Diaz Excerpt from Oscar Wao was the author’s words because they were probably from a Dominican American discourse community from the words they used, so if you were not from that discourse community you probably would have had a harder time reading the excerpt than someone who was, so you would have to understand both of their discourse communities to understand what kind of person they are. I think this means they were trying to show how both sides of the Dominican Republic and the United States influence who they are. Some particular passages that confused me were the first paragraph when the author told the read were the Fuku curse originated and what it means. Also when the author mentioned the Admiral, I got confused when this was said in this context of Fuku. Though later in the passage it might be another name for Fuku because the Admiral may have been its first victim because he may have been the first person to arrive and then discover the new world, and the person who started Fuku because he died a miserable death from syphilis and died hearing voices maybe going insane. What I think the writers may have been trying to do is show what kind of person they were. I think they were trying to show us what their discourse community is, the things they like to do, and what interest them indirectly. A particular passage that was difficult and got me caught up was when the author said “No one knows whether Trujillo was the Curse’s servant or its master, its agent or its principal, but it was clear that he and it had a understanding, that them two was tight.” What confused me about this particular was in the way it was said because Fuku sounds like a person and not a thing.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Good points. Maybe some people think of fuku like a person…