Introduction

Hello my name is Jonathan Stampfl and this is my second semester at city tech. I enjoy playing video games (Xbox one to be more specific) and watching a bunch of TV shows and movies. I like to watch movies and observe how they are made and what is the story or message behind something. I also really like to watch movies that are books and then compare the two for similarities and differences. I am a huge wrestling fan because I grew up with that in my house and now I am a die hard fan. I am also a huge doctor who fan I just got in to it last summer and I am really in to it. I recently just quit my job i was working in my high school as a T.A. helping students of there film projects because i went to a film high school. I quit though because it got to a point where school became more important then work. I want to work in the film and TV industry one day as a gaffer, which is the head of the lighting department. I am fascinated by lighting and when i watch films i specifically look to see how it is used. I just relaxed over winter break and hung out with my friends and i will be working for a summer camp when summer comes around.

me as the eleventh doctor

I cosplayed as the eleventh doctor when i went to comic con this year.

I think as writer my strength is that once i know how i want to write something I am good to go and it ties in the my thinking because i usually like to think outside the box and that gets incorporated in to my writing. One weakness for writing is my grammar is not always on point and for reading i am not really a big fan of reading because i can never stay intrigued in a book. I would always choose to write over reading because when i have to write i can express my thought or beliefs on something, but i can’t get that same feeling when trying to enjoy reading. I have used open lab for two classes prior but not as in depth as we are going to be with it. when i think science fiction i think of something that pertains to space and time and how they connect with one another. science in my mind is proving something or giving information on something like how old is the earth? or what is made of? is there aliens on other planets? etc…… When i think fiction i think of the impossible becoming the possible in reality to a point where its normal. I think highly intelligent and creative people write science fiction like Steven Moffat, George Lucas, Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg. Again i believe the people who consume science fiction tend to be intelligent or creative, so they understand what is being presented to them. I think there are only men in the course because men are more interested in science fiction because of how males are usually raised in society and because men are some what smarter then females. I think a woman is teaching it to show that its not just a stereotype that only men are in to science fiction. I am taking this course because i needed another English class and i have been in to science fiction since i was a kid. yes i believe that most forms of science fiction begin as literature. I am a fan of doctor who, star wars, 2001 a space odyssey, planet of the apes, alien, back to the future. I am expecting to learn more about science fiction in general an how i can observe it and compare different books and films to see the common connections.

3 thoughts on “Introduction

1. I just cannot get into Dr. Who no matter how much i try! I probably passed by you at some point at NYCC, but since i’m not a fan, i generally ignore the Dr. Who cosplay. I should have added Ridley Scott to my list, between him and H.R. Geiger (rip) they scared me pretty good as a kid!

2. Thanks for this intro. Jonathan, and glad to have you in the course this semester! It’s great that you like doing a comparative analysis of books/films (based on them), as we’ll be doing that in class 🙂

You know I have to push you one something you wrote her though: “men are some what smarter than females”? Is this something you believe (and, if so, why), or something you think society assumes/teaches? And what does being “smarter” have to do with being into science fiction? Genuinely curious here …

• I do think it is how society teaches us I believe that men are taught or are even believed to be smarter in some ways. I say this because in my mind the people who enjoy science fiction tend to be more intelligent so they can see the real message behind things, which is why I think this course is all men, but no disrespect to you as a woman I’m just saying in general. Obviously there are intelligent woman who enjoy science fiction as well.