Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2023

Unit 3 Writing in a New Genre Proposal 4/25/23

Throughout the semester, we’ve seen people talking about (for example) education in a variety of different genres. In each of these instances, the author is trying to reach a different audience and they pick the genre that will best speak to that audience. Think about James Baldwin’s speech, or Jamila Lyiscott’s poem. These are all different genres. Why might one write in any of these genres? Who do these genres reach?

In this unit, you’ll be writing about the topic you researched in Unit 2 for an audience of your choosing– so now it’s time to think about what genre you think will best reach your audience!

WRITE: You will need to write a proposal of at least 200 words outlining what you plan to do for Unit 3. Post on the class OpenLab site. This proposal should tell us:

· A 1-2 sentence statement of what you want to teach your audience (the most important thing you learned in Unit 2)

· The audience you are trying to reach

· The genre you are planning to write in and why you chose it

· A plan — how do you intend to get started?

· Anything you might be worried about. What are your concerns about finishing this project?

Submit your writing here as a reply to this post. IF you have any questions or need clarification about anything, please ask.

1. Duc Giang

In my Unit 2 project, I researched “How does racism impact healthcare in New York City during the pandemic?” to show the evidence to help reader can know that racism impacts a lot of life. Moreover, unit 2 can be related to the genre I want to reach out to because I can use it to investigate exactly the number or summary of information I want to talk. When I did an investigation report, I found the evidence is true including statistics, numbers, covid infections in black communities than white communities. The audience I trying to reach is students who are studying in college. It is important because they understand how is racism bad in society when the pandemic outbreak. The genre I planning to write are an investigation report and an infographic. I choose two genres because I use infographics to summarize the topic I share. For an investigation, I used it because it has a lot of information that need to help people can know and understand the number, statistics, and information exactly. I started when I had spring break.

2. Tatiana K

The audience I try to reach are strong people in character and spirit, people who manage for themselves and can already help others and even for those who think that they are helpless, they will find help and motivation for themselves.

Influencing the lives of others is what influencers do. Just think of all the influencers you’ve looked up to that have helped you in one way or another. By becoming an influencer, you too can become a positive role model in the lives of others and affect change on a greater scale than if you choose another career. Unit 2 taught me, and I would love this to be a good example for my audience in how a good influencer as Ruth Bader Ginsburg was, can help millions of people to be freed from various problems. Ginsburg directed the influential Women’s Rights Project of the American Civil Liberties Union during the 1970s. In this position, she led the fight against gender discrimination and successfully argued six landmark cases before the U.S. Supreme Court.

One of the best ways to teach and influence people to something good is to show them real people’s life or failures based on their true-life stories. In my case, I choose to do it through documentary genre movies. A documentary film can tell and show a person much more than we can tell in words.

I will start my unit 3 with Frederick Wiseman quote ‘’Documentary filmmaking ruins you for real life, because you learn to be extremely attentive”, that to catch people’s attention and to point the meaning and importance of documentaries.

I have no concerns about finishing my project, of course there is a lot of information that I may not have a chance to add it all in one project but I’ll try to emphasize the most important points.

3. carlagarcia

My project is “How did X-ray diagnosis help people with COVID-19.”

Audience: My target audience for this project would be individuals who are interested in learning more about COVID-19 and its diagnosis. This could include medical professionals, students, and members of the general public who are curious about the role of X-rays in the diagnosis of COVID-19.

Genre: I plan to create an infographic because it is an effective way to present information visually and engage my audience. Infographics are easy to understand, visually appealing, and can communicate complex information in a simple way. Moreover, infographics can be easily shared on social media, making them a great tool for spreading awareness about important topics.

Getting Started: I will begin by researching X-ray diagnosis and its role in COVID-19 diagnosis. I will then create an outline of the infographic and decide on the key points that need to be included. After that, I will create a rough sketch of the infographic, design the layout and add relevant images and text. Once I have the first draft of the infographic, I will review it and make any necessary changes before finalizing it.

Concerns: My main concern is ensuring that the infographic project has correct and current information. Since COVID-19 is an issue that is continually changing, I will need to make sure that my sources are trustworthy and up to date. I also want to make sure that the infographic is simple to grasp and pleasing to the eye, which could take some time to perfect.

4. Denisa

Child abuse is a major consequence present in almost every society in which children are exposed to maltreatment and neglect. No matter the circumstance, every child has the right to be protected from violence, exploitation and abuse.

I am trying to focus on parents, prospective parents, other caregivers, children, and youth as my audience.

My new genre that I am trying to work on is an infographic project.

I am still thinking about how to plan this project but it will have pictures and information that will help my audience to gain knowledge about how to prevent a child from being abused.

The only worry that I have is how to narrow down all the information because there’s a lot of sources with important info.

5. Bryan loko

The most important thing I will teachow my audience would be, how and in what ways has health care chaged since the pandemic. Also how this has affect the working class and how is going to keep affecting the working class. The audien I will try to reach I thing it might be the working class for exaple ; people who are really able to pay for their health care like immigrants, old people and people who broke. I choosed because, I think we all have the right to have health care without really worring about how much they will have to pay later on. To get started, I think I will make notes and using the information I have about the research question. Also i will organizate myself so i will throuht the most important points. Thye only thing im worry is that my points will not have like and impact to the audience, or that they will not be reable enoght.

6. Sandra

Statement: I want to teach my audience about the impact of COVID-19 on global health and economy.

Audience: My target audience for this project is the general public, particularly those who are interested in understanding the current COVID-19 situation and its consequences on various aspects of life.

Genre: I have chosen to create an infographic because it is a visually appealing and engaging medium that effectively conveys complex information in a concise and easy-to-understand format.

Getting Started: To begin, I will gather data from reliable sources such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to provide accurate and up-to-date information. I will also conduct research on the impact of COVID-19 on the global economy, healthcare system, and daily life. Once I have gathered all the necessary information, I will organize it in a logical and visually appealing way using design tools such as Canva or Adobe Illustrator.

Concerns: One concern I have about finishing this project is ensuring that the information is accurate and up-to-date. With the ever-changing nature of the COVID-19 situation, it is important to constantly update the information and statistics used in the infographic. Another concern is making sure that the design is visually appealing and easy to understand for the target audience. To address these concerns, I will make sure to regularly update the information and seek feedback from peers and potential readers to improve the design and clarity of the infographic.

7. Heylin D

What I’m trying to teach the audience is that we need to take consideration on taking care of ourselves because it’s important to look for better ways on dealing with mental health as teens or adults struggle with it every day. The thing I’ve learnt from Unit 2 is that there were so much ways teens struggled with their mental health, even ways that end up in a very bad situation. This goes to show how we need to take care of our mental health seriously.

The audience I’m reaching is to teens and to adults because we go through it too. Not only teenagers but adults everyone goes through it some point in their life as we get older. It doesn’t hurt to take time for us because it’s important.

The genre I’m planning to write is comic because I can explain better on Why? and How? with showing examples like visuals, live pictures, etc. It can make the audience intrigue with the visuals to see what they yet need to learn.

My plan is to start mapping out how I could start the comic and choosing out pictures as examples about mental health and the cause and effects of it.

I may be worried how it will turn out with the genre and topic together, wondering if it will fit together well.

8. Freddy Cen Liang

Although going to college is a strong and good and most stable investment, sometimes we are not blindly pursuing some prestigious university degree, and it is not that there is no chance of success without obtaining a prestigious university. Even high school students have a 16% chance of becoming a millionaire.

The audience I would like to reach is more high school and college students who are taking out loans. I think the method I would use is to get a lot of data and turn it into a paper to be published in major high schools. The plan is that we can post it on various college and high school boards and do some presentations because with the inclusion of presentations, they will focus more on our ideas and we can better express what we want to express.

The thing that worries me the most is that at this age in high school, they don’t realize yet that this is a serious thing and that the choice of what college to go to and the choice of student loans will affect them for the rest of their lives. Maybe in high school, their minds don’t quite understand what they want out of life and that this choice represents the next 5 to 10 years of their lives.

9. Tanvir Zaman

I want to teach my audience about the causes and consequences of global warming, as well as the potential solutions and actions that can be taken to mitigate its impact on the planet. The audience I am trying to reach regarding global warming includes individuals, organizations, and governments across the world who can make a positive impact on the issue. It is important to educate and raise awareness among the general public about the causes and consequences of global warming, as well as to encourage action at a local and global scale to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and promote sustainable practices. Additionally, it is crucial to engage with policymakers and industry leaders to drive systemic change and ensure a sustainable future for our planet. The reason I chose global warming is because it is an important and pressing issue that affects the entire planet and I will find some evidence of it. I plan to research some information about why it’s important to talk about and I’m worried about everyone like my presentation or not.