Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2024

5/1/24: Unit 3: Writing in a New Genre Project

Your Unit 3 draft 1 will be due on May 8.

Throughout the semester, we’ve seen people talking about (for example) education in a variety of different genres. In each of these instances, the author is trying to reach a different audience and they pick the genre that will best speak to that audience. Think about James Baldwin’s speech, McMillan’s essay, or Jamila Lyiscott’s poem. These are all very different genres.  Why might one write in any of these genres? Who do these genres reach?  

In this unit, (most of) you will be writing about the topic you researched in Unit 2 for an audience of your choosing– so now it’s time to think about what genre you think will best reach your audience!

WRITE:  You will need to write a proposal of at least 200 words outlining what you plan to do for Unit 3. Post on the class OpenLab site. This proposal should tell us: 

• A 1-2 sentence statement of what you want to share with or teach your audience (the most important thing you learned in Unit 2, or from your research for this unit) 
  • The (specific!) audience you are trying to reach
  • The genre you are planning to write in and why you chose it
  • A plan — how did you, or how do you intend to, get started?
  • Anything you might be worried about.  What are your concerns about finishing this project? 

1. Melanie

Migration is something important not only for me as a migrant but for all of us who come from other countries to be able to have good economic stability and live well. From the articles I read, I learned that people do not leave their country because they want to. On the contrary, they do not want to leave their country, but the crisis pushes them to migrate to various destinations to be able to send money to their relatives, especially the parents they left behind. to their children to give them a better life.

I would like to share why they migrate and what the consequences of this are.

The audience I want to reach is people who are migrants from other countries, not especially Ecuadorians because all people migrate for the same reason. A good life and make money.

I plan to write an article in a narrative form narrating the causes and effects of Ecuadorian migration.

I intend to start with a small summary followed by a sentence and give the main causes, effects and destinations of migrants.

My concerns are not being able to connect very well with my audience and causing them to lose interest in the topic I am going to discuss.

2. achraf belli

For my unit 3 project I will try to write a new genre, something that I never did before .the question is what the right genre that I need to choose to reach out my audience and get my point and my message clear, also I was thinking to change my topic to what’s going in the world now especially in our city university of New York, I always have the attention to write about something interesting that cab help me or my classmates. The topic that I want to focus on in this project is “the war between Israel and Palestine” it seems as interesting topic, I will try in this essay to explain what’s the reasons of this war ? by trying to listen to both sides also how we can stop this unfair war? My audience in this project are my classmates and my professor in the first class also the people who are interesting to understand what’s going on. I think the efficient genre for this topic is podcast, I will try to go to the campus of Colombia university and city college to meet some students over there and interview them about this topic, I will try to listen to the both sides in this case to be fair enough also to well understanding this topic. I know we don’t have enough time for all of that but I will do my best to get it ready, I feel so excited to do this experience because I never tried to interview people before but I think it will be a great opportunity to learn new things, my plan will be to talk to at least to 3 or 4 people trying to get the most important information and ask them some specific questions about our topic. Finally, some of things that I’m worried about is time due to my busy schedule I don’t have a lot of free time to be in field ask people but I’ll try to do my best to find a way to get the campus and spend some time with students, I know it not be that easy but I think it worth it .

3. Giselle

• What I want to share with my audience is the effects that is happening to the water pollution in our tap water that we are drinking from and what I want to teach my audience is the difference that we can do to make a change into our tap water to be more safer to drink.
    • The audience that I’m trying to reach is the scientists that study in water and that are capable of fixing it so that the people in the United States can drink from their tap water in a safer way away from harm when they are drinking tap water.
    • The genre that I am planning to write in is Infographics because I want to try a different new strategy that I haven’t learned before or I haven’t done this before. I chose it because I believe that I can learn from it and do well if I can do something new on my presentation.
    • How I intend to get started on my essay unit 3 is by writing in the first paragraph of my research in unit 2 of my research topic that I have written about. Also, how I intend to get started is by focusing in my topic that I have chose and write important information.
    • My concerns for this paper is if I’m doing it wrong or if it doesn’t make any sense.
  4. Caleb Aryeetey

1. What I will like to share with my audience about is the causes and effects of global warming and how it affects human beings and our ecosystem. Also I want my audience to know how such things can be controlled so they do not affect our future generations.
    2. I am trying to reach the industries, companies that manufacture and produces goods that affect the ozone layer like car tire factories and also those that deal with our bodies by not dumping waste into our water bodies to contaminate them and also research institutions that deal with global warming.
    3. I want to present my genre in the form of an article because i feel it will also help me enhance more on the way I write and also improve my language skill and how to read and present my article to my audience.
    4. I intend to refer to my unit 2 project and add some sentences and causes of why there is global warming and the causes of it and how it can be controlled, whiles I plan to research in different areas of global warming and water and land pollution.
    5. My concerns about this project is how it will affect my audience and how everything will come out.
  5. marias

What I want to share with my audience is the impact of animal cruelty on the fashion industry. I think it is an issue that people should take into account and reflect on.The audience to which my topic is directed can be people of all ages since it is an easy topic to understand but I would specify for people who buy leather fashion. I plan to make an infographic because I think it is the best way to inform my audience about the topic and it is also a very easy way to understand my topic. I plan to summarize my most important information and put it together until it is correct.

My concern with this project is not doing it well and getting a bad grade.

6. Afrin Akter

I want to teach people about earthquakes and how to stay safe during them. My audience is anyone who might be in an earthquake zone. I’ll write a simple safety guide because it’s important for everyone to know what to do if there’s an earthquake. First, I’ll gather basic information about earthquakes and safety tips. Then, I’ll put it together in an easy-to-read guide that explains what to do before, during, and after an earthquake.

My main worry is making sure the guide is easy to understand and follow. I want it to be helpful without being too complicated. Also, I want to make sure the safety tips are practical and easy to use if someone experiences an earthquake.