Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2024

4/15/24: Unit 3 (Writing in a New Genre) Ideas: Audience, Language, Goals of Communication

An important aspect of Part of the final Unit 3 research project is thinking about audience, and how to best communicate with that audience. Using different vernaculars/dialects/registers with different audiences can make for more effective communication, depending on context.

Respond in writing to the following:

• How many languages do you speak? What are they? After you name the “official” languages you speak, name the other discourses, vernaculars and registers you speak, not necessarily national languages but languages you speak with friends, languages you speak with family, languages you may speak with people with whom you share a hobby like a sport.
  • To whom do you speak those different languages?
  • How do you feel about speaking different languages to different people in different contexts?
  • How does your intended audience impact how you speak to someone and the word choice you use?
  • How does the purpose for your communication impact what you say and how you say it?
  • How can you have a similar message or purpose for different audiences but use different word choice based on your audience?
  • How do you integrate all the languages you speak?
  • What kind of language or register or discourse are you going to use in your final project (Unit 3 research)? Explain, in detail, why this is the most effective mode of communication or register.
  • What genre is your project? If it is a traditional written academic essay, explain in detail why you decided that this is most effective. If it is a video presentation, explain why a video is most effective.

Post here in the comment section, and let me know if you have any questions. This should be the opening of a discussion about your Unit 3 project, and any concerns you have about this.

1. Giselle

• I speak 2 languages. It’s Spanish and English. I speak Spanish to my family and sometimes I speak English or Spanish to my siblings and I speak English to my friends.
    • I speak different languages to my family and friends.
    • I feel great and proud of myself for speaking different languages to different people in contexts because I can speak more than one language to others so that they can understand me better and better way to communicate with them.
    • How my intended audience impact how I speak to someone and the word choice that I use is because I speak a different language that I may speak with different word choices on my language.
    • The purpose for my communication impact of what I say and how I say it because to learn how to speak my language with other different people.
    • I can have a similar message or purpose for different audiences but use different word choice based on my audience because I may speak a different language and use different words to speak, but I will still give a message that is somewhat the same and different.
    • I can integrate all the languages that I speak by learning the definitions of the words that it means and translating the words to know what it means.
    • The kind of language or register or discourse that I’m going to use in my final project(Unit 3 research) is English and Spanish because I want to write something different that I haven’t tried before. This is the most effective mode of communication or registrar because it can help me on my writing and for others to understand my writing as well.
    • I’m not sure what genre to chose for my topic. I think maybe it’ll be a traditional written academic essay.
  2. Valentina Martinez

·       How many languages do you speak? What are they? After you name the “official” languages you speak, name the other discourses, vernaculars and registers you speak, not necessarily national languages but languages you speak with friends, languages you speak with family, languages you may speak with people with whom you share a hobby like a sport.

A: Two languages, Spanish and English. Informal, formal.

·       To whom do you speak those different languages?

A: With my family my language is formal, and I speak Spanish with them, except with my sister that is more informal, the same with friends but I also speak Spanish with mostly of them. My language with people that I’m recently known is more formal than even with my family and depend on the language that they feel comfortable about, I can speak in English or Spanish with them.

·       How do you feel about speaking different languages to different people in different contexts?

A: I feel normal, I grow up knowing that I can not use the same type of languages with all the people. In the case of using English and then turning to Spanish and vice versa, is confusing sometimes.

·       How does your intended audience impact how you speak to someone and the word choice you use?

A: I try to give a good impression when I’m speaking, so they can feel comfortable with me and with what I’m saying.

·       How does the purpose for your communication impact what you say and how you say it?

A: Because you can truly show interest in the topic, and you can maybe y transfer that to your audience.

·       How can you have a similar message or purpose for different audiences but use different word choice based on your audience?

A: It is easy, you can have a topic that you are interested in for example “environmental” and you choice adults and kids as your audience, you can use Ethos with the adults and pathos with an informal language with kids.

·       How do you integrate all the languages you speak?

A: Maybe adults needed more Ethos ad logos than kids (future shoppers), I just can give them more pathos to the kids and speak more nicely, try to explain the things less graphical.

·       What kind of language or register or discourse are you going to use in your final project (Unit 3 research)? Explain, in detail, why this is the most effective mode of communication or register.

A: I’m going to be a little informal with my audience, my audience are young shoppers, I’m going to used Pathos and some Logos. I toke this decision because they are going to be more interested if I don’t start to formal, and maybe they are not going to press to much attention if I’m giving to many numbers and statistics.

·       What genre is your project? If it is a traditional written academic essay, explain in detail why you decided that this is most effective. If it is a video presentation, explain why a video is most effective.

A: An interview documental, I liked the idea of show the voice of someone who is passionate about this industry and what she has to say about this tragedy. Also showing pictures of the accident. So we have som ethos, pathos and not too many logos. The people can know that the information is coming from a professional and also can feel empty. 

3. marias

My home language is Spanish and I speak English.

I speak English with some friends and Spanish with my family.

Sometimes it is difficult to speak a second language to different people in different contexts because There are many meanings, words or sayings that are not easy to understand.

Intervene so that they may or may not understand what I’m talking about.

The purpose of my communication is impactful because my audience has to understand what I say about my topic.

It depends on your audience, you should try to be attractive and understanding.

You could do it but also translate it.

I think the most effective method of communication is canva.

Infographic is the best tool for my project because its a simple way to learn about my project.

4. Tariq M. Elfgeeh

1- My first language is Arabic but which people doesn’t know about it is each city in each Arabic country speak a different dialect specifically where I was born.

2- I talk with people depend on what do they speak or whet dialect they talk with.

3- I think when a guy speak multiple languages expands their thinking about society, Communications and getting toi know more people.

4&5- The method of narration in speech may differ from one language to another, especially when you speak the language you speak fluently.

5. Kai

1. I speak English and Mandarin. Mostly Mandarin with my family members, and English with my friends.
    2. Mostly Mandarin and English with my family members, and English with my friends.
    3. I feel messed up sometimes because I have to say different languages.
    4. The word choice I use depends on the topic that we are talking about.
    5. the purpose for my communication impacts my speed ​​and tone of speech. This will directly impact what I say and how I say.
    6. different word choice is based on the environment or condition I have been.
    7. The most common way to integrate all the languages I speak is to practice it daily.
    8. I’m going to use English in my final project because everyone has an English background. So, this is the most effective mode of communication or register.
    9. Traditional written academic essays will be the genre that’s most effective because it is the most common and familiar in academic writing. 
  6. Caleb Aryeetey

I speak three languages. And they are English, Twi and Ga. I usually speak English with some of my American born friends who do not know how to speak our local dialects and I also speak Ga with my parents and also i speak twi with some of my sibling and aunties and uncles.

I speak these languages with family, friends and other strangers.

I will feel very comfortable and expressive when speaking different languages to people in different context because it will help me be able to convey my message well and also be able to explain and go into details of what I want to say to them which will be more understandable.

The purpose of my communication will impact what Im saying by the kind of language i use to approach my audience and also how i will present it to them, be it using graphical messages, audio or animated text.

I can have similar messages for different audiences and different word choice based on the language they speak and understand and also the means of communicating with them. I can choose to communicate with them in audio form in the language they understand or i can choose to convey my messages through audio-visuals in the language they understand.

I combine the languages i speak by being able to know which type of language to speak to anyone from different background. And also knowing how to address what i want to say in the language being spoken.

I will use English in my final project because it is the most spoken language and should be understood by everyone since it is the worlds first language. I feel it is the most effective way to communicate because everyone should be able to read and understand it. Being able to communicate in English to my audience will also help them to be able to understand the language and also help them in situations where only English is spoken.

The genre for my project is Climate Fiction. My project is also a traditional written academic essay and i decided to use this format because it will help me be able to express myself more in a written form to my audiences.

7. achraf belli

1- I speak three languages: Arabic, French and English also I’m learning Spanish. The languages that I speak with my friends and my family in my country are DARIJA and TAMAZIGHT are Moroccan dialect.

2-Speaking all this languages depends with who for example I use the Moroccan dialect to talk with my family and friends, French was our academic language at the college like English now also I use Spanish to communicate with some of my customers at work and some Spanish friends.

3- I feel really proud to speak all this languages that makes me different also help me open up to communicate with other, I need to improve some of them more.

4- the audience have important impact about the way we talk and the language we choose to communicate because talking to a friend is not the same as a professor or others, always we need to know to choose the right words in the right context

5-The purpose of communication impact always on our communication and the way we talk, for instance discussing academic research or work we need to use more formal language, completely different when we have a chat with friends we may use a more relaxed tone.

6-I integrate all the languages that I speak by choosing the right words with the right person, I think it depends on the audience and the purpose of the communication

7- according to the topic that I choose to talk about “drugs in new york city” I will choose English. The purpose of choosing this language is to show the my class mate how serious and dangerous is this phenomenon are in our city.

8-The type of my topic will be a PowerPoint presentation, and I will provide the most important ideas and statistics about drugs in New York City and how dangerous they are, How we can prevent young people from using drugs ?

8. Shahzoda

-How many languages do you speak? What are they? After you name the “official” languages you speak, name the other discourses, vernaculars and registers you speak, not necessarily national languages but languages you speak with friends, languages you speak with family, languages you may speak with people with whom you share a hobby like a sport.

I do speak 5 languages and they are Uzbek (my country language) Tajik (my home language) Russian (my country second language) Turkish (I learn speaks Turkish just for fun. Because I love Turkish country.) and English. I can speak fully with all 5 languages.

-To whom do you speak those different languages?

Currently I’m using all 5 languages at work doing translation with patients. Other than that I do speak Tajik and Russian mix at home. With my son only English.

-How do you feel about speaking different languages to different people in different contexts?

Be honest, mostly that’s give me confusion. Because all that 5 are completely different from each other.

-How does your intended audience impact how you speak to someone and the word choice you use?

Every language has different sounds of speaking. For Example, for me Russian speaking is a little rougher and Turkish language is very gentle. every time when I speak with other languages, my sounds will changed.

How does your intended audience impact how you speak to someone and the word choice you use?

Every language is spoken differently. The easiest for me is the Uzbek language.

-How does the purpose for your communication impact what you say and how you say it?

The pronunciation of the word is of great importance to convey the meaning of the word. for example, happiness cannot be expressed by crying or sadness cannot be expressed by laughter.

-How can you have a similar message or purpose for different audiences but use different word choice based on your audience?

I choose words that make it easier for me to explain myself.

-How do you integrate all the languages you speak?

Very difficult because the 5 languages are not similar at all.

9. kenny

1. I speak three languages: Chinese, Spanish and English. but sometimes I will speak Cantonese and Spanish with my parents and I speak Mandarin to my friends.
    2. I speak different languages to my family and friends.
    3. I am proud of my ability to speak different languages with different people, which allows me to communicate with them in a better way.
    4. I want others to know me, so I need to understand each person’s different personalities, hobbies, etc., and leave a good impression on others through their different ways of speaking.
    5. The reasons you talk to someone will change what you say and how you say it. For example, if you are giving instructions, you will speak clearly and directly. But if you were cheering someone on, you might use more gentle and supportive words. Your purpose determines the tone, language, and content of your communication.
    6. To ensure your message resonates with different groups, you can adjust your word choice while keeping the main idea consistent. This means using simpler language for some audiences and more complex language for others, while conveying the same message.
    7. Help with word combination benefits by learning the definition of the word and translating the word to understand its meaning
    8. I’m not sure what type myself, maybe a traditional written academic paper is the most effective type.
  10. Melanie

I speak two languages that are spanish as y first language and english as my second language 

Mostly I speak spanish with my family and some friends, and I speak english most with my classmates, professors and some friends that I made in College.

I speak those languages to my family and friends 

I feel good because I can speak to them in their languages and make clear what I mean so they can understand me better.

It depends on what I am talking about with them. Sometimes it will be a serious conversation but other times will be about our memories or funny times that we pass.

The purpose of my communication will impact what I say by the type of language I use, or the type of research I am giving and the type of evidence I am giving. Also when we are with friends We talk in an informal and more reliable way and instead when we are with a more formal audience.

I can have a message with a similar purpose depending on the audience I have, for example if they are adults I would use credible information and at the same time I would speak with authority so that they know that I am talking about something very formal and if they are boys and girls I would also speak with credible information , with an emotion, an imagination, that they can imagine and feel what I am transmitting.

I integrate all the languages I speak, clearly choosing the type of words I would use in the context in which I want to speak because if it is an adult I cannot speak to him as if he were a child, it depends on the purpose I am speaking about and the type of person I’m talking to.

My final project will be based on both languages, more in English and a little in Spanish because most people speak English but at the same time there will be words in Spanish that people who speak English will not understand. So I would give them the context of each of those words, this is the most effective mode of communication or registration because then neither of my two audiences would be left with doubt.

The genre of my project is going to be an academic essay because I think it would be more effective to express myself that way to my audience.

11. Turiqul khan

• I speak two languages, Bangla, English and Hindi. I speak Bangla with my family and friends.
    • Mostly I use two languages. I speak to Bangla with my family and friends. otherwise, everywhere I use the English language in my workplace and college with teachers and classmates.
    • I feel excited because I like to talk to new people when I communicate in different languages with different people and they understand what I am saying that time I feel happy.
    • It depends on place. I always talk differently with different audiences, when I talk with my teacher or manager I speak formally but when I talk with my family and friends that time I speak informal way.
    • The purpose of my communication impacts what I say and how I say it with clarity, tone, and relevance so it Impacts when I speak to someone.
    • I can say it is important to simplify complex concepts and use language so audiences can easily understand. On the other hand, tone and language impact different audiences.
    • I can integrate multiple languages and provide responses in a variety of languages also I think language processing and translation capabilities help in providing more accurate.
    • For my final project, I will use the English Language.
  12. Afrin Akter

• I speak two types of language Bengali and English. Bengali is my mother, Tongue.
    • I speak Bengali with my family and friends and I use the English most with my classmates, professors and some friends that I made in College.
    • Speaking different language with different in different contexts really fun. Sometimes I feel very nervous because English is not my mother tongue. But I love to speak with people who came from different contexts and different culture. 
    • For general audiences or those unfamiliar with the topic, I always provide more background information, and use relatable examples to make concepts more understandable.
    •  The purpose of communication significantly influences to audience. 
    • By understanding who I am talking to, keeping it simple, being respectful, making people feel good, thinking about the situation, and staying consistent with main message, I can communicate effectively with all kinds of people.
    • Speaking different languages is fun and helpful! It helps me talk to more people and learn about different cultures.
    • I will choose the language or register those fits to my audience and purpose best. For my final project I will use English language. It will be in more formal tone. 
    • I will choose a traditional written academic essay for my project effectively communicate complex ideas, academic skills, and engage my audience in a format that aligns with academic expectations.

.