Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2024

3/27/24 Writing Activity: Course Goals

Now that we’re about halfway through the semester, let’s reflect on this class and think about the learning outcomes we’re aiming for, and give this writing course a review. First, let’s look at the learning outcomes of the ENG 1101:

English 1101 Learning Outcomes:

Read and listen critically and analytically in a variety of genres and rhetorical situations: Identify and evaluate exigencies, purposes, claims, supporting evidence, and underlying assumptions in a variety of texts, genres, and media.

Adapt to and compose in a variety of genres: Adapt writing conventions in ways that are suitable to different exigencies and purposes in a variety of contexts, including academic, workplace, and civic audiences. When appropriate, repurpose prior work to new genres, audiences, and media by adjusting delivery, design, tone, organization, and language.

Use research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectives: Learn to focus on a topic and develop research questions that lead to propositions and claims that can be supported with well-reasoned arguments. Persuasively communicate and repurpose research projects across a variety of contexts, purposes, audiences, and media. Demonstrate research skills through attribution and citation gathering, evaluating, and synthesizing both primary and secondary sources. Learn how to use appropriate citation styles depending on disciplinary and situational requirements (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.).

Use reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about reading and writing and transfer acquired knowledge into new writing situations. Students write reflections of their own reading and writing process from the beginning and throughout the semester with the intention to transfer their acquired knowledge about genre and composing practices into new writing situations.

Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing: Recognize that first-year writing includes academic, workplace, and civic contexts, all of which require careful deliberation concerning the ethical and social ramifications concerning fairness, inclusivity, and respect for diversity. Write and revise for academic and broader, public audiences accordingly.

Compose in 21st– Century Environments: Learn to choose among the most current and effective delivery methods for different composing situations. Students learn to compose in new media environments, including alphabetic texts, still and moving images, sonic, and mixed media compositions. Use digital media platforms appropriate to audience and purpose.

These learning outcomes are listed on our syllabus. Write about how much progress you think you are making (and also how much we as a class are making) working toward these learning outcomes. What do we need to work on from the above outcomes? What questions do you have about these goals? Choose each goal above and write 1-2 sentences (or more) addressing how you understand the goal, the questions or clarification you/we still need related to the goal, which goals we should focus on for the rest of the semester (as opposed to other goals), and any other concerns or confusion you might have about the goal/outcome and its meaning. Don’t be afraid to admit you’re not sure or are confused about a particular outcome/goal. Also, don’t be afraid to be critical; if there is something you’d like to focus on more that you feel we haven’t been, let me know how you think we can improve this class. We should discuss and make a plan together as a class!

Post by replying here in the comment section below.

1. Valentina Martinez

1.   How much progress you think you are making (and also how much we as a class are making) working toward these learning outcomes.

A: we started with “Read and listen critically and analytically in a variety of genres and rhetorical situations” then we learn about â€śvariety of genres”, “Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing” and â€śUse reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about reading and writing and transfer acquired knowledge into new writing situations. 

2.   What do we need to work on from the above outcomes? 

A: We have to work on improving what we have learned.

3.   What questions do you have about these goals? 

A: none.

4.   Choose each goal above and write 1-2 sentences (or more) addressing how you understand the goal, the questions or clarification you/we still need related to the goal.

A: 1. “Read and listen critically and analytically in a variety of genres and rhetorical situations”: In this case is learn how analyze the reading and what we listen in videos, podcasts, classes, etc.

2. “Adapt to and compose in a variety of genres”: Adapted to the diferentes genres either when writing or reading.

3. Use research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectives:

4. Use reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about reading and writing and transfer acquired knowledge into new writing situations: Use different resources with different perspectives, purposes and context for our writing and then use the proper citation.

5. Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing: Prove ethical principles in your writing.

Compose in 21st– Century Environments: learn the effective delivery methods for your audience and the situation.

5.   which goals we should focus on for the rest of the semester (as opposed to other goals), and any other concerns or confusion you might have about the goal/outcome and its meaning. 

A: perfect what was previously learned, also may be in “Compose in 21st– Century Environments” and â€śUse research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectives”

2. achraf belli

1- In terms of my personal progress, I feel like I am doing good, I’ve noticed improvements in my writing skills, especially with the writing activity that we do every class.

Four our class I believe we making good progress too, every body in the class want to share ideas, meaningful discussion all the time, I feel like we have a positive learning environment in the classroom.

2- I guess what we need to work on from the above outcomes are more grammar exercises and vocabulary words, that we’ll help us a lot in our coming writing essay.

3-Focusing on grammar exercises and expanding our vocabulary will definitely enhance our writing skills. Grammar helps us construct clear and correct sentences, while a rich vocabulary allows us to express our ideas more precisely.

If we can do 15 min for some vocabulary words every class also some exercises in grammar, maybe by the end of the semester we will have a hundred of new words in our minds and sentences more clear and correct.

3. Caleb

1. Adapt to and compose in a variety of genres: With time i have been able to understand how to choose from a variety of genres to use in my essay and what types best fit the type of article or presentation that i am going to make and I feel that has helped me a lot to be able to express myself with the type of genre i want.
    2. Use research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectives:

The use of going to the library and learning how to cite pages and the right ways to quote a text and use it in my essay is also very helpful. I will also like us to study how and the right way to punctuate.

I feel a lot of studies like being able to write and proofread our essays and be able to re organise our words and and find any errors. Also my goal is to pass this class and be to improve in the way i speak english and how to punctuate.

Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing: I have been able to learn during my time in this class to be able to have some social ethics like being polite in your essay and making sure no foul languages are used to express anything.

4. marias

Write about how much progress you think you are making (and also how much we as a class are making) working toward these learning outcomes. 

We have been doing a lot of processes: reading, analyzing, clearly writing a thesis, demonstrating research, formulating ideas and citations. 

What do we need to work on from the above outcomes?

I think we should work on how to use citation styles appropriate to the discipline.

What questions do you have about these goals? 

I don’t have questions.

Choose each goal above and write 1-2 sentences (or more) addressing how you understand the goal, the questions or clarification you/we still need related to the goal, which goals we should focus on for the rest of the semester (as opposed to other goals), and any other concerns or confusion you might have about the goal/outcome and its meaning. 

Read and listen critically and analytically in a variety of genres and rhetorical situations.  Understand reading and analyze genres.

Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing.  Understand the social effects of writing.

Don’t be afraid to admit you’re not sure or are confused about a particular outcome/goal. Also, don’t be afraid to be critical; if there is something you’d like to focus on more that you feel we haven’t been, let me know how you think we can improve this class. We should discuss and make a plan together as a class!

I would like to practice more vocabulary. 

5. Giselle

• The progress that I am making working toward these learning outcomes is good because I have been learning new information that I haven’t learned before.
    • What we need to work from the above outcomes is the vocabulary words because I don’t understand some words like the meaning of it.
    • The goal that we should focus on for the rest of the semester is the word Pathos, Ethos, and Logos because I’m still kind of having trouble what the word means and which sentence represent Ethos, Pathos and Logos.
    • I don’t have any questions above the goals for now.