Homework #2: Walker Evans Photography

The Photographs that Walker Evans took back his time in New York City would be incredibly socially awkward to do it in this generation. Back then we seemed to be more interactive with one another. Less technology basically forced us to be more social than we are now. The Photos he took fit a good description of how new York usually is on a normal day. Most people are either sleeping from a long day of work or a short night sleep. After all this city never sleeps. Almost everyone in the subways are have very serious faces on while they commute to their designated location. Another description of the city. Even in this generation the emotions stayed the same and are identical to Evans Photos. One major difference that stands out between the then and now is that instead of newspapers we use our cellphones to keep ourselves distracted from each other. Now a days social interactions in the subways seem to annoy people than unite. I guess the old days were better , when we relied on each other to keep us company instead a lifeless device we all unfortunately rely on.

2 Responses to Homework #2: Walker Evans Photography

1. I have rarely seen people smile on the subway unless they are with friends or family, and it is true that most of the time either they are coming back from a long day’s work or are going to work after a short night’s rest. This Evans did capture I believe, as most of the people he captures are grim faced or fatigued looking.

2. Wendy.h says:

I agree with how if walker was to take pictures now I’m present day, it wouldn’t be a good idea and work as good as it did back in the days. The trains are to crowded and people are always rushing and basically have no time for anything. Most people I know would feel annoyed of someone were to take pictures of them on the train. For me personally I wouldn’t want someone taking pictures of me especially on the train. Back then it was a good idea cause the trains were just opening and people had a lot to say for the first day of operation and there face say it all.