Homework #1: Cell Phones and Photography – Richard Orton

Hi everyone.  My name is Richard Orton and I am in my second semester at CityTech as a transfer student.  I have a bachelor’s degree in business but decided to make a career change so am enrolled in the chemical technology degree program at CityTech to pursue a career in science.

I think the ease of access and quality of cell phone cameras definitely have the potential to make people more creative.  As with anything, though, this creative potential is limited to the individual using the phone.  For example, as the iPhone commercial illustrated, using your phone simply to take pictures of food at restaurants may or may not be that creative.  Regardless, it is a medium that people can use to express themselves that is now available to a much larger audience than prior to the advent of high quality cell phone cameras.  Also, with the growth of social media use, cell phone photography is another way that people can communicate with each other.

I certainly believe that smartphone photography is art.  Photography has gone through a lot of changes over time and art takes many forms.  Maybe people thought that when digital cameras came out that they were not as much art as the old style film cameras.  It seems to me that it is just a new form.

This entry was posted in Student Posts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.