Homework #1: CellPhones and Photography

Hello All. My name is Kelly-Ann and I am a senior majoring in Communication Design, and this is my final semester at City Tech. I am currently a part time graphic designer and photographer for a fashion Jewelry Company in Manhattan.

The Apple iPhone 6S Campaign was extremely smart. The iPhone 6S has so many great features, some in which are arguably better than the camera, but these would not sell at great masses, however the camera would. Currently, everyone is fixated on selfies, and sharing their life through photographs the quickest way possible. Apple uses these photos because they convey a simple message; you can take great photos with their iPhone. The use of the photographs were so strong and compelling that apple had no need to justify why their phone is better at taking pictures than any other smartphone. It was simply about the art of Photography and less about the specs of the device. You can clearly see that the quality the iPhone 6S camera produces is top notch.

As a photographer, I believe the camera is just a tool.  Taking a great photograph has to do with much more than having the best gear, although this still helps. The photos Apple chose for their campaign were chosen not only because they were taken with the iPhone 6S but because these images had great composition, lighting, setting, good angle, creativity and the ability to connect with a viewer, and so happens to be taken with the iPhone. The good quality of the phone’s camera played a minor part in what made these photographs so captivating, but to the viewers, the camera is what made these images so great.

In the video, Adam Sacks exaggerates the comparison between the iPhone and a DSLR. Although, this may be a very clever advertising strategy, I must disagree. The iPhone camera takes great images in the best settings. However, DSLRs will always produce sharper images because of the dozens of interchangeable lenses, ability to zoom further, capture quality action images, shoot in very low light… etc. But when we think of what the iPhone is capable of doing, it’s quite remarkable.

The technology of having the camera in our phones is convenient. It would be annoying to take my DSLR camera everywhere I saw an interesting subject. Phone cameras has allowed us to take good quality photographs quick and easy.

This entry was posted in Student Posts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.