Re: Rooms from Versailles to post-Katrina New Orleans

I reflect Robert Polidori’s photographs articulate more of a mood towards powerful statements of unique events. From his photograph’s I don’t have the impression that they captured catastrophes rather they captured the aftermaths of unknown circumstances and people have to realize what happened, filling in the missing story behind the photo. As for the fact that majority of his photographs don’t have any people I them I contemplate that adds more mystery towards the story behind the photograph and captivates his statements of such events because we are always curios about the unknown. In my opinion photographs like Polidori’s have such a unique quiet feeling to them because there are no people in them and yet there is a tragic element in the photos. One can look at the photographs and take time to find the story that the photograph is telling. Polidori says he is  “obsessed with human habitats violated by time and circumstance” I find his statement very interesting because for me that is true. No one lives through an event the same way we all have our own sense of style and sense of tragedy. And when nature or events adds its own “design” to that how can you not find that interesting. Another quotation of polidori that intrigued me was “ interior spaces can reveal the collective soul of a society” and “vacant rooms as exoskeletons of peoples’ internal lives” His interior photographs and housing photographs depict those ideas strongly. One can tell what culture people come from by the way their home is decorated and designed it can also depict how a certain society is living whether it be poverty or the super rich. Rooms that people either had lived in or are living in represent them and it is the shelter that holds their personal lives within it. I think polidori’s photographs have strong impacts even with some obvious elements of tragedy. Sometimes leaving the audience to decide what had happened creates a better photograph in my opinion.