Sandy’s Aftermath

It’s been several weeks since the devastating and excruciating hurricane hit New York City and New Jersey, where millions of innocent people were “surprised” by the effects of mother nature (Hurricane Sandy).  Where people lost their houses by Sandy, in which the best option was to flee and fear for their lives.  Millions of New Yorkers suffered the hideous impact of Sandy that left millions of people without power, food, transportation and with no house to stay.

I’m really thankful that nothing happened to me and my family. Luckily, we weren’t affected at all by Sandy.  I was able to follow everything that was happening, while Sandy hit the city.  And because of that I was constantly checking all the news and social platforms regarding Sandy’s impact. One of the many things that called my attention was, when I first saw photoshopped images of different places of NYC being “affected” by Sandy. The first image I saw was about this shark swimming on the street and then the Statute of Liberty being engulf by water.  At first, I didn’t know if these images were real or not because of all uproar that Sandy was causing and then after awhile, news were denying the authenticity of these images.

The purpose of creating faked images was totally an act of cowardice and heartless towards the people affected by the hurricane and its citizens.  Aside from calling people’s attention, I think it was a disrespectful way of showing respect and love towards those in need of help.  Hurricane Sandy was a serious matter in which we should’ve been together as a one, instead of disrupting the social media and making people believe something was not real.

Hurricane Sandy proved us how vulnerable this city can be, and how things can get out of hand easily when mother nature attacks.