Capa’s Falling Soldier

When I first saw this photograph (“Falling Soldier”), it never crossed my mind that this photograph could’ve been staged, because during that time staged photographs weren’t common or popular.  After reading Richard Whelan’s article about Capa’s photograph authenticity, I have no doubt that this photograph indeed was never staged nor modified by any means to become famous or to get money out of it.  Whelan’s article clearly states with witnesses and documented papers the validity and originality that the “Falling Soldier” was never staged nor manipulated by any means, but to show the actual moment of the war, where soldiers were being shot to death by their enemies during the Spanish War.

I think that most of the controversy surrounding this photograph’s trustworthiness is mainly caused by those who would have loved be famous as Mr. Capas.  I believe that Philip Knightley and O.D. Gallagher  wanted to be famous by “proving” that the “Falling Soldier” was staged.  However, thanks to Whelan’s article the integrity of Mr. Caplas will continue to be as clear as the water.  Moreover, I do think that authenticity matters, because what would be the meaning of having photographs that are staged and represent something that was never meant to be? When it comes to photographs about something important that can be subject to study, authenticity is extremely valuable to analysis and researches that would lead to further explanations or conclusions.