Discussion Topic: Pictures of Pictures

In a New York Times article, the art critic Roberta Smith notes the increasingly common use of cameras, especially cellphones by viewers when interacting with art. In particular, she discusses the behavior of visitors to the Venice Biennale, an exhibition of contemporary art that is held every two years in Venice, Italy. Many countries, including the U.S., are represented with their art displayed in national pavilions. Do you agree with her opinions on the usage of cameras in relation to art? What is your opinion on taking pictures of pictures?

Read Roberta Smith’s NYT article here

Explore the Venice Biennale website and videos of installations in the pavilions

Don’t forget to log in to your OpenLab account and join the class (request membership!) in order to add a blog post.

See instructions on how to “post” and “comment” under “Blogging Guidelines” above.

Please post your responses by Saturday, September 15.

This entry was posted in Discussion Topics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Discussion Topic: Pictures of Pictures

1. Melwin Geevarghese says:

I think it’ll be hard to figure out an actual percentage of art-viewing done on a camera or a cellphone. I know Flickr, the photo sharing site, recently announced that the photographs shared and uploaded onto the site come from the two most popular devices used by photographers these days; Canon Rebel and the iPhone. I was very surprised to see that the iPhone made it on the list considering that Flickr has a wide variety of users sharing high definition pictures but through the apps installed, the phone is capable of taking such sharp and stunning images to be uploaded and shared. So when I read the NYT article and saw that Ms. Fremson came across only two people using traditional cameras and the rest were using other smaller devices, I wasn’t too surprised. The way people used to capture moments have changed drastically from painting a picture to taking a picture manually then developing the picture, to just taking it instantly and sharing it. People capture these moments and it for sure looks like they’re trying to capture the moment to cherish it from another point of view and/or angle; except it’s through the lens. Seeing the exhibits through the eye and actually taking photographs of them may have aesthetic differences but it’s what some prefer now a days. I think people’s appreciation for art has surely changed and for me, after seeing the installations of it in the pavilion made me want to appreciate it with my eyes than just snapshot from a camera. But I know that later I’d want to take pictures of exhibits on my phone and want to add cool effects and share it with my friends. What may look like a boring, non-real exhibit can turn into a real artistic image through a simple app on the phone like Instagram. But through experience I know what was captured through my eyes is just not the same thing as what was captured through a lens. Seeing a photographer photograph another photograph of an exhibit really changes what is actually seen through an eye, but these are just my thoughts.

2. ajimenez630 says:

Roberta smith is right on many levels when it comes to her article.It relates to the connectivity of people’s phones and photo devices to the internet.The state of the internet is a sharing platform as of now.With sites like facebook , instagram, flickr , twitter , and tumblr.Its no wonder that people decided to take photos of these works of art and post them online.Another point that feel like adding is that some people simply do not nether the time nor funds to see these magnificent works of art.Often relying on internet blogs or google.I feel however that its a steep trade off when someone views a work of art digitally instead of physically.Simply because you cannot see the brush strokes and the subtle changes in color.There is also the fact that some art cannot be photographed with flash (flash sometime fades paintings sometimes with enough time).In conclusion viewing art through has its flare but it falls short to being in front of the work of art because honestly would you like to see the Mona Lisa on a photo blog or would you rather travel to Paris and indulge in a new culture that houses it then finally see the most influential work of art in the last 100 years?

3. elsie says:

I do think the different usage of cameras is changing the look of photography. I believe the traditional full-service camera can take better pictures than cellphones or ipads. To compare between regular camera and cellphone camera, regular camera usually tends to take clearer images than cellphones even ipad. Put then again people may refer to use their cellphone camera than a regular camera because it comes in handy. Today we uses cellphones for multiple purposes like internet, calling, messaging and games but a regular camera can just take pictures. After taking a picture users can post images online to wherever they please. Cellphones are not as big as traditional full service camera, so that gives users the advantage of putting it wherever they want plus cellphones are weights lighter than full service cameras. Sometimes i see pictures taken with a traditional full service camera seem to be more real than cellphone or ipad cameras.

4. Janet T. says:

I think that what Roberta smith writes in the article is true. Camera and cell phone are the most common electric devices people will bring every day. People like to share their life through the internet. No matter they walk on the street, eating with friends, or even when they are visiting museum. People always want to share their moment with friends immediately, so there are many website and apps come out. For computer network, people can upload pictures through twitter and flickr. For cell phone, people can share pictures through instagram and facebook. Also, most people are using cell phone’s camera or mini camera instead of the traditional big camera. Cell phone’s camera and mini camera do not have full function as the traditional big camera. It makes a big different on the quality of the picture. I think that it is ok to take pictures with the daily life, but not for visiting museum. In my opinion, looking at the art works through the eye is different from looking at it through the camera. When visiting museum, camera can help you to record the art works; however, the color of the art works will looks different. Therefore, people should stop spending their time on taking picture with the art works.

5. gio_jaime says:

Roberta Smith’s observations are mostly accurate because anyone using anything other than a cellphone or mini camera would be seen as odd. Only true photographers will use old fashioned cameras and they take professional photos that are used in magazines and articles. The reason why iPhones and mini cameras are mostly used in the photography world is because its what the common person could afford. People that could afford these costly cameras would take better quality photographs compared to what the common people use. In addition it takes skill to develop the photos taken with the higher quality camera. The reason why the percentage of the camera phone and mini camera usage is dramatically increasing is because technology is taken a role of convenience. Why have a large camera and cell phone when you could have both in one device, the size of your hand? The tourist at the museum are mostly all middle class or above, so what they would most likely using are regular cameras, camera phones and old fashion cameras (because they develop into better quality). Technology has developed from painting pictures into just taking a picture in 2 seconds. Basically for this reason, is why photography well change over the next years.

6. I agree with her article om usage camera in relation to art.In this moment of time, most people use any small electronic camera to take pictures.Each decade,new device are being discover such as ipod,iphone and ect.Most people these day use the regular camera to take pictures of any event.Some of of these device take better and clearer pictures then other.some many of them are being upgraded.I think a proffesional camera will tell a better story then the regular camera.The art of the photo taking by the proffesional camera will appear much better vision.All the detail will show and thats what seperate the regular camere to proffesional camera.Photography is going to change as new devices are being develop.

7. raynier10 says:

i feel that taking a picture of a picture has no harm involved. it is actually something good because when you go to something like this art show that happens once a year in a foreign country you might never have a chance to go back to it and view the images. therefore it would make sense to take a picture of the picture and basically take the art work wherever you go because that same art work might never be displayed again.

8. V.YU says:

What Roberta Smith writes in this article is true. These days, majority of the people have access to a camera through their phone and more people own cellphones than cameras. That is probably the explanation of why there is an increase of camera use today. Having a camera phone comes in handy and instead of carrying two gadgets, having a camera phone is so much easier. In addition, with the technology of camera phones getting better and better in quality and megapixels, people can actually take a picture that is up to par with a picture taken with a digital camera, not necessarily a dslr though.

I also agree with Roberta when she said “More generously, the camera is a way of connecting, participating and collecting fleeting experiences.” With a camera phone, it’s an easier way for one to connect with others. We can update our statuses of what we’re doing or where we are at with a picture instantly. We don’t have to go through the process of waiting to get home, uploading the pictures onto our computer, and then posting it up online. Though some people may prefer doing this for better quality pictures, others prefer the easier way through their phones.

9. Ankit Rauniyar says:

I take about 20 pictures everyday, it could be about something I want to remember or something I like and event something I want to create a different perspective with. Cellphone come in handy all the time. I own a professional camera and my phone had a camera as well but most of the time I am snapping pictures with my phone, the photo quality is not comparable between two but its convenient.

Many people probably think the same so the use of camera and photography has increase within this short time. About 5 years ago when people were still using Flip phones, I did not see many photographers around but now not only photographers nut also bloggers and even magazine are based on cellphone photography,