Evans’ Subway Portraits

After reading the New York Time article, my opinion on Evan’s approach to photography is to capture people’s emotions while riding the subway. As he said in the article “He wanted to do nothing but look at the people”. It funny how when I looked at his photography I see a resemblance to how riders today look while riding the subway. Either their talking to a friend, zoned out, sleeping, or just staring into space. Nothing much has changed in people expression during the Depression Era to today’s riders, maybe the fact that there are more ads to look at but that’s about all. Though there are difference to the Depression Era to today’s riders expression is that many of the riders in the Depression Era has no facial expressions as in nothings entertaining in their lives. Compare to today’s riders you can almost see a different expression on everyone’s face, some are smiling to themselves, some are listening to music while moving their head, some are looking around like explorers, some are reading books…etc. Rider’s today seemed to be much more entertained compared to the Depression Era riders. There are similarities and differences between the Depression Era riders to today’s riders.