Spiritual Photography

It is difficult (if possible at all) to know for sure what goal Holland Day was trying to achieve, when he made his famous “Crucifix with Roman Soldiers”. Was it an allusion to high art? Or maybe it was an attempt to promote Pictorialism with as little criticism as possible (since many people would refuse to condemn the work which has any religious reference).

Assuming that his work was an honest experiment, we do know for sure that the photograph tries to demonstrate historicism of the actual event of the crucifixion of the Messiah. In a way, Day did the same what Southworth and Hawes did creating a post-event photograph “Death of Pain”.

Totally different goal is pursued by Shannon Taggart in her project “Basement Vodou”. It is not an allusion to art, and she is not trying to recreate past events. What she does do, is document events, or experiences, as they happening.

The question is, are these experiences spiritual in nature? As far as I see, they are not. The same behavior is occurring is other cases, which have nothing to do with religion, such as rock concerts. Shannon could’ve explored that niche, but it’s already has been done. So, instead of photographing rock concert, Shannon photographs religious “concert”… I assume, difficulties involved are the same.

Are these photographs valuable? – I wouldn’t miss them; but they are informative.

Are they intrusive? – I think, it depends on rules of a particular religious organization. It is obviously isn’t intrusive when it comes to Vodou; otherwise we wouldn’t see the project “Basement Vodou”.