LL4 – Gallery Review

Our field trip was to some photography galleries in Chelsea.  All the photographs had different styles, lighting and techniques. Irvin Penn, “ On Assignment” was one of my favorites. He was an American photographer known mostly for his portraits and fashion photography. He worked for vogue Magazine. He has also some still lifes of food and bottles. Most of his work was done in black and white, the look of his photos very sophisticated and elegant. The portraits were very smooth and not much amount of light in them. It had a lot of contrast and tones.

Pieter Hugo, Kin was he other photographer I liked. His work was mostly portraits. He focused mostly on African communities. He worked on documentary photography. I liked two photographs from his gallery. One was about a tree that looks as if the wind had taken a piece of it and made it slant to one side. The other was a portrait of a guy with tattoos on his face. It had this intimidating look. Most of his photos had a lot of light and natural light. His wanted to make the audience feel what the subjects were feeling.

Finally, my favorite gallery was Nick Brandt, Across the Ravaged Land. It was very powerful.  Brandt mostly photographs in Africa, and he wants to show wild animals in their habitat right before they get destroyed by man. His photos are black and white with a lot of contrast. He uses diffuse light. He focuses on the subject and blurs a little the background. The photos show incredible detail and texture. The lion and elephant look so powerful so elegant thanks to the black and white and the lightning he uses.

This entry was posted in LL4-Gallery Review. Bookmark the permalink.