LL4-Gallery Review

My three favorite photographers were Irving Penn, On assignment, Pieter Hugo, Kin, and Nick Brandt, Across the Ravaged Land. On assignment by Irving Penn, most of the photos are portraits, and there are several famous people as his models, like Salvador Dali. Most of the photos were shot for Vogue magazine. There was this photo that I loved, a black and white photo of a little girl carrying a lamb on her shoulders, what I loved was the expression on the little girl’s face, even the expression of the lamb, telling a story. Penn’s photographs are very artistic, and with some constructivist style, it reminded me of Rodchenko’s photography, closed up, cropped and different angles.

Nick Brandt was definitely my favorite, his photography is majestic, absolutely outstanding. The setting to start off, are beautiful places in Africa, he photographs animals in such magnificent poses. All his photos are in black and white with diffuse light I believe. There is not a lot of light on his photos and that is what makes his photos so nostalgic and full of sentiment. The photos are very sharp and crisp with the whole frame on focus. The composition of his photos is great, the way he captures the animals in certain poses is just breathtaking.

Pieter Hugo, has also a lot of portrait photos in color. His photos are very intense, with his subject looking straight in the camera giving a sense of intimidation. I think his photos are very interesting and capture your attention because just as every portrait tells a story, his photos are so striking that you try to read the story behind their looks.