Daniel Lee HW1

As the art director for the Honda FCX Clarity I would go for the look and feel of a sports car campaign. Since most people see electric cars as inferior, slow, or displeasing to the eye I would want to change people’s outlook on electric cars. Many electric car campaigns focus on the environmentally friendly and fuel efficient aspect of the car i would focus on the speed and ascetics of the vehicle.

The photographer I would choose to photograph my new ad campaign for the Honda FCX Clarity would be Tim Wallace. I would chose Wallace over the other two photographers for a few reasons. The first being is that all his photography is of sports cars. Because of this i believe he would be used to photographing cars to make them look as fast and visually pleasing to the buyers as possible. The low and oblique angles that he uses to capture a vehicle would make any car look stunning. Also he tends to shoot outdoors in diffused light usually on a very cloudy day. This shows me that not only can the car handle the weather but it looks as if the car is bringing a storm with it. Another few reasons i would choose Wallace over the other two is his use of extensive depth of field. Unlike most of Don Dixon’s photos Wallace makes the background as important as the car shooting outside as opposed to in a studio. Wallace’s use of front lighting or overhead lighting on a car outside in diffused light makes the vehicle stand out without using shallow depth of field. This sets a certain mood which i feel would be perfect to spark the buyers to become more interested in electric cars and be able to see that they are not what they used to be.

One Response to Daniel Lee HW1

1. rmichals says:

You make a really good observation that Wallace shoots on cloudy days. Think of a cloudy day as a huge tent giving even light all over and reducing reflections and the choice of weather makes a lot of sense. I tend to think only of the lighting but I think you are right that there is also the connotation that the car can handle bad weather.