Disney Courses

Advanced Hospitality Management

As a Hospitality Management student I knew this course would greatly increase my knowledge of what to expect when entering a real life business. This class allowed me to really experience and understand what would be expected of me as a leader in this field. What really stood out to me about this course was the team effort that had to be put into place by everyone in the class. All of the assignments were created to be worked in teams of four or five. At the end of class my professor explained why she created her course this way and why it was important for us to learn to work in groups. As much as everyone wants to get things done their own way and on their terms, there is literally no way possible to get ahead in this business without the help and/or guidance from an outside party. I was lucky enough to have a great group of people to work with before entering the program, but not everyone was so lucky. The final project for this course which we have been slowly working on the entire semester was to create either a business plan or website for a hospitality business that has been chosen at random. My group and I were chosen to be in charge of a Value Resort that we had named “Ohana”. This was a family oriented establishment with various activities for all ages. With this project we had  the chance to really experience what it takes to run a fully functioning hotel as well as the chance to let our creativity shine.

Value Resort Project

Human Resources

This course was unexpectedly my favorite class to take during my time at the Disney College program. My original class choice was Creativity and Innovation, but when I had registered for classes this course had already been filled to capacity. Human Resources was one of the few classes left to be assigned and I really had no idea what to expect, but I wasn’t going to let that bring me down. On the very first day of class I knew that even though this was not my first choice I was very lucky to be a part of it. Human Resource Management is described as a formal system devised for management of people in an organization. There are guidelines that Human Resource Managers must follow, but there are also grey areas that need to be discussed to come to a final conclusion of what is right and wrong in a work place. There are four major responsibilities for a Human Resource Manager to follow: 1. staffing 2. training and development 3. motivation and 4. maintenance. What made this class so interesting to me was the interactive discussions between the entire class.

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."