Videos–> Sidney Sao

Part 1

1)Title: Scary Sirepinski Skull Time

Description: Vi Hart was showing us how you can make triangles out of triangle candy corns. She basically Showed that there where infinite number of triangles in a triangle.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZWlUamNPI&list=UUOGeU-1Fig3rrDjhm9Zs_wg

2)Title: Doodling in Math: Sick Number Games

Descriptions: In this video, she talks about prime numbers, Pascal’s Triangle, and Floyd’s Triangle.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhlv5Aeuo_k&list=UUOGeU-1Fig3rrDjhm9Zs_wg&spfreload=1

3)Title: Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and being a plant [1 of 3]

Descriptions: She discusses the Fibonacci series and show us how to find the numbers in the series (starting with 1 add 1 and than add the previous number number to the first number to get the next number). After than she show us how the Fibonacci numbers are in everything with spikes, such as, flowers, pineapples, acorns, and etc.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXIMUkSXX0&list=UUOGeU-1Fig3rrDjhm9Zs_wgPart 2

Part 2

Chosen Video: Doodling in Math: Sick Number Games

I watched some of her other videos, and I found them them to be pretty annoying because she talks really fast and make a bunch of weird/annoying sounds. Despite that, this was the only video I liked. I found it really interesting because she talked about prime number. To be honest, I don’t really know what’s the point of knowing that a number is prime. What’s the purpose of prime numbers? She also talked about the largest prime number, (2^43,112,609)-1, and how the guy who came up with this number was rewarded $100,000. One thing that I found funny and interesting was that scientist sent the largest prime number to space in an attempt to communicate with aliens. Also I liked the statement, “mathematics is one of the only thing all life have in common.” I also liked how she showed a different way of viewing the Fibonacci’s Triangle. When you circle all the odd numbers in Fibonacci’s Triangle, you get sierpinski’s triangle. After that, she divides all the numbers in Fibonacci’s Triangle by three, and colors in all the numbers with remainder 0, 1, and 2 with different colors (R0[red], R1[black] and R3[Green]); she comes up with a set of rules (ex: black+black= Green). One thing I learned from this video, is that when you draw the Ulam’s spiral all the prime numbers connect in a diagonal. One question I have, If I find a prime number greater than the largest prime number do I too get a reward? 🙂

Part 3 

I think this video teaches us about some things in math because she’s show you steps to find certain numbers through the use of Fibonacci’s Triangle and etc. This video is telling me that when I teach I should encourage my students to do what Mr. Reitz does, think about the process of solving problems because it can open up to new math ideas. theorems, and etc. I believe this work is relevant to the work we are doing in class because we use the Triangles mentioned earlier and discussed a little bit about prime numbers and how there’s no formula for a prime number, yet. I don’t think it relates to Lockheart’s lament. Overall, I like how this video shows you how you can view things in different ways.