OpenLab #5: Feedback on the Course

We are currently in the fifth (or sixth, depending on how you count) week of the semester – about 1/3 of the way through the course.  For this OpenLab assignment, I am asking you to provide some feedback on your experience of the course so far.  We will revisit this survey later in the course.

Assignment (Due Thursday, October 9th, at the start of class).  Your assignment consists of two parts:

1. Complete the survey by clicking here.  The survey consists of 10 questions, and should take 5-10 minutes to complete.  It is anonymous (I will see the answers, but I will not know who submitted them).
  2. Confirm that you have completed the survey by leaving a comment in reply to this post (for example, you could just write “I completed the survey just now”).

Extra Credit.  Tell me what music you are listening to these days.  What’s in heavy rotation on your iPod?  Give us a brief description.  I’m listening to Parov Stelar (“compulsively listenable electroswing”) and Shpongle (“a unique concoction of lounge driven downtempo encased in an endless sphere of production”).    A few ground rules:  No offensive lyrics, be considerate of others, feel free to include a link but only to a legal site such as YouTube or SoundCloud.

32 thoughts on “OpenLab #5: Feedback on the Course

1. These days I am not listening to much music now because I like the silence. But when I am bored and have nothing to do, I usually listen to many different types of genres in music, whether it is rock, hip hop, pop, lyrical, ballet, opera, etc Spanish, etc. I usually listen to music depending on my mood and how I feel on a certain day. I love the band paramore so I usually listen to them. One of the songs I like is “Ain’t it fun” That song makes me happy and puts my day good. I like to listen to Michael Jackson like “beat it” or “Billie jean”or any music that can get me to dance because I love dancing. I also love evanescence’s, they make me happy. Sometimes when I’m mad or sad I usually listen to heavy metal like avenged sevenfold, but it all depends on how I feel, but in general I like listening to all types of music.

1. I agree with you I’m also not attached to any specific music , i just like to listen to music depending in mood. I also like Michael Jackson and I like most of his songs like” beat it”, ” The way you make me feel” and “They don’t care about it”. I like your type of music that you listen too

2. I like to listen to Linkin Park, songs like “In the End”, or “New Divide” and even “Hit the Floor”. I also LOVE Eminem, especially his song “Lose Yourself” and another one called “Till I collapse”. I feel like all of these songs give you motivation and determination on your daily goals. I like listening to these songs because they make you feel like you have the strength and powerful mindset of NOT giving up. It can be in school, or in life or basically any problems you are dealing with throughout your life. These songs really lift your confidence up and makes you feel like NOTHING can BREAK YOU.

1. I agree, I like linkin park and Eminem as well. They have some awesome motivation songs for when your at work, at the gym, in school, etc.

2. I agree with you, I also like to listen to these songs like ” lose yourself” and ” in the end” and i also feel that these songs are so powerful . I usually like to listen to these kinds of songs in the morning while i am taking the train to school, the sound wakes me up and make me feel that i am so energetic.

3. I agree with you too. Linkin Park all the way! It has been quite a while listening to my favorite rock bands. But I find Linkin Park got some unique talents to some how top the list most of the time. And yes “New Divide” is one of my favorite songs too, the instrumental and vocals at Linkin Park’s best. Actually one of the reasons why I loved transformers.

4. I also love Linkin park. Meteora is my favorite album, the is a song that speaks to whatever mood I’m in. When I’m angry they calm me down or when I just need a boost to keep me going.

3. I’m not attached to an specific music genre. I just like good songs/bands with exceptional live performers.I like to listen to fresh pop hits like Jessica Simpson songs: “with you” and ” I belong to me”. Also, I love metal and rock music. I love metal and rock music because it’s very loud and I feel like it has the most energy in it. I also love the lyrics of metal and rock music, they are usually deeper and more meaningful.

1. I 100% agree with you that metal and rock music has the most energy. It’s like being able to feel the emotions in every song. I especially like the lyrics most of all because like you said they are meaningful and I feel like one can connect more to the lyrics.

4. I shall inform the class that yes, I indeed completed the survey.

First off, Ipod? I do not wish to get into a long-winded discussion on how much I’ve hated Apple since Oregon Trail kept killing off one of my family members due to dysentery. That includes how much I detest the Ipod. Well played, Mr. Jobs, well played.

Music playlists. Well popular music died for me in 1999. I’m pretty much at that point where I will only listen to something if it allows me fond memories which typically involve video games. At best I have a few video game soundtracks. Music sounds best in 16-bit anyway.

5. My IPod is currently on shuffle. I like to be surprise, to see what mood my iPod is in. I remember one time when I iPod choose to play back to back RnB songs. I thought I had set it that way but it was still on shuffle. I found it weird and thought that my iPod was trying to tell me something. But now I find myself listening to (somebody that I use to know by Gotye). I don’t know why but I really like this song.

6. I am listening to Taylor Swift’s SHAKE IT OFF and Meghan Trainor’s ALL ABOUT THAT BASS these days, which ranked top three on Billboard for few weeks already. The both songs have authentic rythms. What I like them most is their lyrics. They both are trying describe what nowadays those social withdrawal kids want to demonstrate. I especially like ALL ABOUT THAT BASS’s “I ain’t no size 2, but I can shake it like I am supposed to do”. Fat kids are becoming loners. This song definitely speak their mind. Same does Taylor Swift’s SHAKE IT OFF. In her MV, she performs a girl that is not as professional as the other dancers. However, she likes to dance as one of those professionals. I sort of consider of myself. I am not as booksmart as most college students. Neverthless, I like to study hard to become one of them.

The following are the official links of these two songs I mentioned above:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpM0xHzoRWA

1. I really like these songs, and I like your point of view on the songs that she is not professional but she is trying and pretending that she can. I agree with you that we have also to try hard to become smarter.

2. I love these songs especially all about that bass. I feel like the rhythm is so cute and catchy to want to dance to it. I like the line that you used and it is true about what you said. Now a day generations are changing and I feel like a powerful tool to help someone through a tough time is through music.

7. I actually m amused how long it has taken me to think about what I was going to write. It’s really funny reading my classmates responds and knowing that I share a common interest in the music they like. I really honestly can say I love majority of all music out their from Spanish, rock, alternative, hip-hop, R&B, etc (modern and back in the day music). Even though I love different types of music I really can not live without rock and alternative music the most. It’s their deep meaning behind every sentence that gets through me, the fact that I can make a connection from a song to my personal life. I have a lot of favorite rock bands and what I love the most about them is that their songs have life meanings and make you get through any situation your in and the fact that majority of the time the lyrics in the songs are based on what they went through which reminds me that I’m not alone.

1. i’m with you yanira, I try to listen to the kind of songs that are related to my personal life. i listen hip hop, rock, rnb often while i am driving because driving in nyc is really stressful. when i am home, i prefer more relaxing song like classic(Pavarotti) that throw me back to my past or help me think about my future

8. completed survey while listening to pandora. honestly couldnt tell you where either of my ipods are in my apartment. i prefer to read on my train ride and i listen to pandora at home, on my phone (usually on my bike) , or on my computer at work. i like being able to pick my station and they do the work. my fiona apple station is always my favorite and it trends with chick singer songwriters. love it. commuting home is usually my nine inch nails station though.

9. The type of music I like are instrumental music. Stuff like jazz, classical music and etc. When I listen to these it puts me in a mellow/relaxed states. One artist I listen to is kaori kobayashi’s “walk in the night”. I also listen to old school freestyle, rap, rock, and R&B Such as 2pac’s: “thug mansion (acoustic version),” I ain’t mad at cha,” and etc. Lastly I listen to a bunch of video game music. I like to listen to these music while commuting or doing homework it helps me concentrate more.