Welcome and Getting Started

This course is MAT 1575, Calculus II, taking place in the Spring 2012 semester with Professor Reitz.  We will be using this website in a variety of ways this semester – as a central location for information about the course (assignments, review sheets, policies, and so on), a place to ask and answer questions, to post examples of our work, and to talk about calculus, mathematics, education, reality and imagination.

Getting Started

Anyone on the internet can look around the site and see what we are doing, and even leave a comment on one of the pages.  However, only registered users can create new posts and participate in the discussion boards.

How do I register?

You will need to do two things:

1. If you have not used the openlab before, you must first create an account  (you will need access to your citytech email address for this).  Detailed instructions can be found by following this link to the help pages, finding the “Especially For Students” section about halfway down the page, and then looking at the first link “Getting Started with the OpenLab and Joining Your Courses.”
  2. Once you have created an account on the openlab, log in and then join this particular course, Spring 2012 MAT 1575 with Mr. Reitz.  To do this, first click the “Course Profile” link at the top left of this page (just under the picture).  Find the area labelled “Course” on the right side, and click the “Join Now” button underneath it.

Header photo by Encel (http://www.flickr.com/photos/encels/4059671027)

41 Responses to Welcome and Getting Started

1. Mr WordPress says:

Hi, this is a comment.
    To delete a comment, just log in and view the post's comments. There you will have the option to edit or delete them.

2. Musaib says:

Hi Professor this is Musaib. I just join the open lab.

3. jishan007 says:

Hello, professor. I am Jishan Biswas. I just created my own account. This website really seems very good.

4. theozeng says:

Hi, Professor. This is Zhi Zeng. But you can call me Theo.

5. lance12 says:

Hi, I’m still trying to get familiar with this website

6. endri says:

hello professor.
    its my first experience with this website, so i’ll take some time to figure it out

7. Hi, Professor just joined the course.

8. avald1046 says:

Hello professor, sweet website, looking forward to using it.

9. zbrowne says:

All signed up Professor Reitz.

10. jesus22 says:

HI, Professor. THis is Jesus Herrera, I’m still trying to understand how this website work. well i just need to play around with it.

11. prosenjitdas says:

Hey professor, this is Prosenjit. I’m looking forward to this semester. Hoping to use the Openlab correctly and I’m trying my best to get familiar with this website

12. alamin163 says:

Hello, Prof. Reitz:
    I am in, and this is Mohammed Alamin. I am thinking of doing a project. I haven’t decided the topic yet. I might need to talk to you about. Seems like this class is going to be a very fun class.

13. Hey, Prof. Reitz
    This is Gurpreet Singh and just joined Openlab. I think open lab is better than blackboard and ever simpler to just get in touch with the students and the prof. Looking forward to having a great semester.
    – Gurpreet Singh

14. mmiltz says:

Finally! 8th time’s a charm!

• Jonas Reitz says:

Hi Melissa — that’s great news! Welcome to the OpenLab. Anything you’d like to share about your experience of registering? You managed to resolve the problem, so it could be helpful to others.
      -Mr. Reitz

• mmiltz says:

Well, I contacted the web support for the site and they tried to help by asking some questions, but to no avail. Eventually I just tried it again (after several times during the first round a few nights ago) and it magically worked. So really, I have no sound advice except for : if at first you don’t succeed , try , try again!

Thanks!

15. koshygkoshy says:

Hello Professor, this is Koshy. Open lab is great by the way.

16. Abdoulaye says:

Hello,
    Better late than never, I’m in lol
    Hopefully learning here will be as fun as in da class 🙂

17. Shawn Finn says:

Hi Professor, Just tried signing up but having a problem with the City Tech email. Should be fixed by the end of the day. Website looks cool, looking forward to using it.

18. justinblaize says:

Hi professor this is Justin Negron im looking foward to using open lab!

19. igorekk132 says:

Hello Mr. Reitz)
    This is Igor M. I’m very happy that I was able to get in your class again))
    Open Lab is probably going to be more interesting than just PDF assignments on Blackboard.
    Hey everyone! I had Mr.Reitz as my professor in CalculusI last semester. He’s very passionate and dedicated instructor with whom you will never yawn or nap in class.))) He has an incredible ability to hold classes attention throughout the whole lecture. Everyone who wants to pass – WILL pass. Anyone who wants to understand Calc. WILL understand it. Mr. Reitz gives us a very solid choice. If you want it, you get it.
    This is just my own opinion from my own experiences without any exaggeration, and I hope it will be positively confirmed by most of the participants in our class by the end of this spring semester.

• Jonas Reitz says:

Hi Igor,
      Welcome to the OpenLab, and welcome back to my class — good to see you again! Thanks for the support – I’m very open to feedback, good or bad, so feel free to keep the comments coming.
      -Mr. Reitz

20. The system finally let me register. This website is really cool and helpful.