DUE DATE UPDATE 3/4/12: Because WeBWorK has not been available all weekend, your first assignment will NOT be due on Tuesday. I will extend the deadline by AT LEAST 4 DAYS (possibly more, to be determined). I will make this change official as soon as WeBWorK is up and running again. Thanks for your patience.
PASSWORD UPDATE: The system automatically removed any zeros at the beginning of your password. For example, if the last 4 digits of your socsec are “0305”, the system saved this as “305”. Similarly, “0016” would be saved as “16”. When entering your temporary password, leave out any zeros at the beginning.
UPDATE 2/28/12, 11:45AM: The WeBWorK server was down overnight, but is now working again. Apologies to those who tried to log in last night but weren’t able to!
WeBWorK is now up and running and accessible from on and off campus (anywhere you have access to the internet). Your first assignment will be due on Tuesday, March 6th, and will cover the material from this week (Feb 27 – Mar 2). In the future, you will have both a WeBWorK assignment and an OpenLab assignment each week – but this week, your only OpenLab assignment is to get started with WeBWorK. Here’s what you have to do:
Assignment. You must complete the following three steps.
Step 1. Log in to WeBWorK here: http://188.8.131.52/webwork2/Reitz-1575/ . I have created Usernames and Passwords for all students registered for my class.
Username. If you have an account on the OpenLab, your Username for WeBWorK is the same as your OpenLab login (BUT the password is different, see below). If you don’t have an OpenLab account, your Username for WeBWorK consists of your first initial plus your last name, all lowercase (for example, John Smith would have username jsmith).
Password. Your temporary password consists of the last 4 digits of your social security number.
Step 2. Change your password and update your email address. To do this, select “Password/Email” from the main menu on the left. Use whatever email address you like (I suggest using one that you check often)
Step 3. Complete the first assignment, titled Assignment1-6.3ShellsAnd7.1Parts, by clicking on it in the main screen.
If you have any trouble — either with logging in, or with completing the assignment, post a comment here or send me an email and I will get back to you.
- Click on a problem to see the details (the list of problems appears in the menu on the left). Enter an answer and hit “Submit Answers”. Don’t worry, if you get it wrong you can try it again.
- For definite integrals or other numerical answers, you can enter the answer either as a decimal, like 72.26 (round your answer), or as an exact answer, like 23*pi.
- For indefinite integrals or other algebraic answers, if you have the answer but you’re not sure how to type it in, try typing it and then hit the “Preview Answer” button — it will show you what it thinks you mean, and you can decide if you’ve typed it correctly. For example, if the problem is , then you might type “-5cosx+C”. Note that WeBWorK does not use backslashes (unlike ).
- You can work on the problems in any order you wish. You can do some problems now, and come back and do the rest another day (your work will be saved, as long as you submit your answers).
- If you want to print out a copy of the assignment, click on the assignment name in the main menu on the left, and then click the link in the main screen area that reads “Download a hardcopy of this homework set.”