Blog Post 8

On the last page of Alex Andreou’s article called “Anti-homeless spokes: ‘Sleeping rough opened my eyes to the city’s barbed cruelty” is a sentence stating “The rough sleeper’s bad fortune is intricately connected to someone else’s good fortune.”
This sentence itself defines the article for me. A homeless person will be doomed to a confined life on the pavement while the man or woman in luck at that particular moment may be right across from that pavement paying five hundred dollars for a plate of Caesar salad.
I have passed by hostile architecture many times in my life without taking the moment to notice them until just recently a friend of mine pointed them out to me. I remember being absolutely shocked. It was incomprehensible to me as to how this cruel train of thought can even come about.

The third paragraph of the second page in Tristan Tzara’s “Dada Manifesto 1918” consists a sentence stating, “This does not prevent the canvas from being a good or bad painting suitable for the investment of intellectual capital.” I think that sentence has much substance which I am able to comprehend better. Whether an art is note-worthy or not is a completely personal judgment in the mind of each person to make. The idea that because a piece of art has been admired highly by all people for centuries, it is more note-worthy than other works of art which you may come across is not acceptable. This idea is hostile to our culture because it creates a barrier between individually appreciating any from of art which you may come across.

On the seventeenth paragraph in “How computers change the way we think” by Sherry Turkle, there is a quote stating “…in the hands of a master teacher, a PowerPoint presentation with few words and powerful images can serve as the jumping-off point for a brilliant lecture. But in the hands of elementary-school students, often introduced to PowerPoint in the third grade, and often infatuated with its swooshing sounds, animated icons, and flashing text, a slide show is more likely to close down debate than open it up.”
This excerpt brings to mind the limited power of technology. It should be at our disposal to be used as per our intellectual abilities. They should not be mistaken as something which is better than us, where we are at its disposal to gain intellectual abilities from. In this example, a master teacher would already have gained worldly knowledge in their own experiences prior to entering this virtual world and using it to their students’ benefits.

3 Responses to Blog Post 8

1. I like the quote you chose in Alex Andreou`s article. That is really true that one`s misfortunes are tied to another`s fortunes but the thing is that we all have the opportunity and the obligation to help one another so that everybody can be the same. Not have some people without food, living on the street in a completely separate life from the rest of society, while everybody else is warm in their beds full from having more than enough food.

2. Samantha says:

I think the last paragraph of your post is powerful, more so the last line. If teachers are able to pass their experiences on to students and their students are only learning through computers online what will they have to offer future generations of students?