Meat Blog

After reading the article “The Way of All Flesh” written by Ted Conover, I discovered the truth on the process of how a cow will turn into food. Conover gives us a step by step as to what a cow must go through and how it gets evaluated by health inspectors to be USDA approved (with a stamp) or else it will not be allowed to leave the slaughterhouse and delivered. One main factor is that inspectors must be aware that everything is done perfect to prevent food borne illnesses. For example, an inspector can stop the whole line/function if there is an issue that must be called, which for every minute that the line is stopped it costs about “$10,000”. One thing I learnt while reading this article was how much precisions had to be included when cutting open and dissembling a cow; especially when it came to cutting open the cow’s heart. What surprised me was how even if a liver is not able for human consumption it can however be okay for cat consumption which had me at a “woah”. I am not huge on beef and don’t consume it as much but now I will most likely not eat beef again simply especially when I read the dismemberment part and the way he described in detail on how the cow looked.

2 thoughts on “Meat Blog

1. Michael Krondl

So here’s the question: if you read a similar article on any other meat, would that turn you off as well? Or is there something about cattle that makes them different from, say pigs, or turkeys?

2. LIV2x

If I read an article about any other meat I would not be surprised but I would not be happy. The whole process is one to remember whether it be ducks or cows. Pigs go through one similar enough where the meat process is overall sickening.