SW Greenmarket Blog

This week we’re taking a look at one of the biggest greenmarkets in NYC, Union Square. But before that, we need to establish WHY Greenmarkets exist. According to their website, as a non-profit organization their mission is “to empower all New Yorkers with equitable access to fresh, locally grown food, neighborhood green spaces, opportunities to reduce waste, and care for the environment.” Throughout the year, you can find farm fresh produce, pastries, meats and cheeses, fish, as well as the occasional alcoholic craft brew. You can even find garden-ready seasonal plants and mushrooms of multiple varieties! As I wandered around the market, taking in the sights and sounds, I stumbled across the Oak Grove Plantation setup, and was greeted with a stunning array of hot peppers and popcorn. Naturally, I had to inquire about the peppers and comment on how I’d never seen such a large variety; to which the merchant exclaimed that it wasn’t even their entire stock. There were even more peppers that they couldn’t stock because they didn’t have room! I was mostly looking at the scotch bonnets and habaneros since those two peppers can be found in my family’s traditional Pepperpot. Unfortunately, I didn’t need to buy them as my mother had already gotten some from our local grocery store, but I made sure to buy some of their popcorn (which I forgot to take a picture of because I ate it before I remembered to).

1 thought on “SW Greenmarket Blog

1. Michael Krondl

I remember interviewing the woman who runs the farm years ago when she explained that she would go through the fields testing new peppers. She was particularly taken with a variety that made her mouth completely numb!