Trade Publication Paper
Select an article from one of the following hospitality trade publications. Write a one-page summary with a reaction. Write with the assumption that the reader has not read the article. The article selected must be from an issue published in the last 12 months) and must be relevant to food procurement, concentrating on ingredients, food safety in procurement, ingredient or purchasing trends. Do not select articles about equipment, alcoholic beverages or wine or restaurant reviews. These publications are all available in the City Tech library and online.
Meat and Poultry
Nations Restaurant News
Restaurant & Institutions
For more details carefully read through the assignment on BlackBoard/Assignments. You will be uploading the assignment to BlackBoard as a Microsoft Word document.
Due date: Sept 22
Greenmarket Blog Post
- Go to a Greenmarket. For locations see https://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/ourmarkets
- Why do the Greenmarkets exist? You can either find this on the organization’s website or ask at the information stand for a brochure.
- Take notes about what kind of food is sold there. What is currently in season? What seasonally neutral goods are on sale? What are you familiar with? What’s new to you? Do the prices seem high or low compared to grocery stores? Be specific: “The apples cost $X/lb…compared to my local supermarket where they cost…”
- Choose an ingredient, it can be fruit, vegetable, meat, fish, dairy, or baked goods.
You will make a short presentation about this ingredient in class:
- What is it? What can it be used for (kinds of recipes, breakfast items, etc).
- Why would you choose it over a similar ingredient (flavor, texture, ethical considerations, appearance, cost…)
- Where does it come from? Be specific. Is there anything special about it? (organic, heirloom variety, free range…). You may need to ask the vendor about it.
- Take a picture of it at the market and include it in your blog post so we can refer to it during the presentation