NYT inflation post

Please write a brief blog post (150-250 words) in reaction to the NYT article “That Dinner Tab Has Soared. Here Are All the Reasons.” Summarize the contents and then respond by giving your opinion or any personal insight that you have about the situation. Given our class, your primary focus should be on the increasing cost of ingredients and what’s driving it. The blog can be informal but should be grammatical. The link is here as well as under the readings menu.

To write a post, click the little plus button at the top of the page. Click the box (lower right) on the “NYT inflation” category. Use your name for the title. Make sure to proofread.

3 thoughts on “NYT inflation post

1. Lishelle Moore

After reading The New York Times article titled “That Dinner Tab Has Soared. Here Are All the Reasons,” I see the correlation between the documentary we’re watching in class and the article. Mr. Moffet’s restaurant costs start long before the dish reached the table. The fact that staffing alone is 25% of his budget surprises me seeing that one of his main ingredients increased by 93%. And to see that even though he cut 6 items from his menu and stopped using third-party partners, he still has to pay for job postings. Inflation has been a wake up call for Mr. moffet cutting his profit margins by 50% from the pre-pandemic normal standard and makes him more mindful of costs.

2. Lusfreidy Hernandez

After I’ve finished reading “That Dinner Tab Has Soared. Here Are All the Reasons.” I’ve noticed that the inflation has started after the pandemic, meaning the pandemic is the main cause of this crisis. Prices of food in menus have raised dramatically after 2 or 3 years. In the article it mentioned Bruce Moffett owner of Good Foods had to raise his prices 4 dollars more than the original price in only 3 years. The pandemic caused a shortage of food around the states or worldwide and what makes it worst is that there is a shortage of workers transporting them into different locations all around, all this just adds up to the rise of prices in food in markets or restaurants. I have experienced this myself whenever I go food shopping. I use to buy 8 to 10 Limes for only $2, now I sometimes only get 6 limes for $2.

3. Jessica Garcia Vargas

Based on the article, “That Dinner Tab has soared. Here are the reasons…” by New York Times. After the pandemic inflation had a huge impact on everything, which included restaurants, retail stores, grocery stores, etc. Even regular utilizes that are within the restaurant industry, the prices had skyrocketed up and stayed there, if anything they are just going to keep going up. All the prices that skyrocket came in a domino effect as explained in the article, since there is a shortage of workers, then there’s even fewer workers in the industry behind that one and so on. The same way everything went up, so did the food prices, drastically if I may add, a dish that may have been on the menu before the pandemic may have been in the single digits are now in the double digits. Which I totally stand by, in my opinion, I think all the changes and prices have been justified. I think that because if you don’t raise your prices up either, there is no way you could stay open, you’re basically getting no profit out of it and if that’s the case then you will eventually have to close up your business. Although, I do suggest to make sure that whatever you are charging your customers is worth it.