While reading “In defense of the classroom” by Caroline Hellman  there is a quote I related to on high level “Higher education does not simply concern lectures and exams but also what is learned in their interstices, at the times one might least expect a worldview to be altered. These experiences cannot be replicated in online sessions only accessible to some”. During the switch from in-person to online it felt like immediately some people lost interest in school, I myself felt like I wasn’t learning anything and wasn’t getting the full senior year of high school perspective.  Another quote that stood out to me was “done well, “the old model of everybody goes and sits in a classroom and the teacher is in front of that classroom and teaches that class” is pretty wonderful.” In my opinion I’m more forced to learn while I’m face to face with a teacher, when learning behind a computer screen I feel like we tend to lack and lose focus on our cellphones and just having all the freedom to do what we want to do in our homes.

In “The Readers As Artists” by Toni Morrison it is stated “Your ears strain, stretching down the block, searching through schoolchild chatter for that one voice that will give you ease. Your eyes sting with the effort to see over bushes, look through buildings, cut through everything that separates you from your child’s starting point—the junior high school. ” What I think she is trying to say is that when you’re in junior high school or high school in general, you’re at the point where you want to fit in and find that right friend group that would make you want to come to school all the time. Also when I was in junior high school finding the right group of friends or even one friend was hard because of my social anxiety, but during that part in school that’s when you come out of your shell and find your true inner self.

1. Mark Noonan

Excellent choice of quote:

Higher education does not simply concern lectures and exams but also what is learned in their interstices, at the times one might least expect a worldview to be altered. These experiences cannot be replicated in online sessions only accessible to some”