Maureen Neuringer | COMD 3711 - Section OL70 | Fall 2021

01 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to two questions posted. Your response should be a minimum of 300 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade.

Question 01 –

What will you do when you don’t know how to create your vision?

Question 02 –

When will you chose Adobe Illustrator ahead of the other Adobe Software? List things you might create with illustrator.

1. Bryanna Andrew

— Generally speaking, when I don’t know how to go about creating my vision for a design, art piece, or any sort of project for that matter, I normally head over to Pinterest and try to find similar projects created by others. I draw some general inspiration from those projects in order to suss out how I’ll go about structuring my own project. I’ll have a better idea of what I’m doing and then I can search specific people, projects, or websites to use as guidance/reference while working on my own project.
    In terms of what I do when I can figure out how to create something in Illustrator, a Google search usually does.

When will you choose Adobe Illustrator ahead of the other Adobe Software? List things you might create with Illustrator?

— Being that Adobe Illustrator is a vector based design program, I would choose it ahead of other Adobe software for projects in which I am designing predominantly vector based or vector centered content. Although Adobe InDesign is also a vector based design program, it’s primary function is centered around its multi-page and layout features- it doesn’t allow the amount of flexibility in vector editing that Adobe Illustrator does.
    An example of a vector based project in which I would utilize Adobe Illustrator would be in the designing of a logo, sticker, or t-shirt graphic. It’s important to ensure that content such as logos and t-shirt graphics are vector based due to the need for them to be workable at many sizes both small and large.
    An example of a vector centered project in which I would utilize Adobe Illustrator would be in the design of a poster or flyer. I describe posters and flyers as being vector centered rather than vector based because ultimately the type is often the most important element in this kind of design because there is more than likely some hard information being communicated. On occasion when there is very prominent vector imagery on a poster/flyer, the type is normally centered around the imagery, but it does not fall to the wayside. As for the posters/flyers that are predominantly vector based, well, I’d go the Adobe Illustrator route.
    Overall, in the case of posters and flyers, Adobe Illustrator is more a preference for me rather than an essential. Technically speaking, Adobe InDesign would be better suited for poster/flyer design being that it is a layout and page design program. I just find that I personally enjoy using Adobe Illustrator much more for these kinds of projects because I have a certain visual flare that I like to include throughout my poster/flyer design.

• Maureen Neuringer

Bryanna I am a big Pinterest Follower. Go and follow me Maureen Neuringer. Any place I can be stimulated with ideas, I am all for it.
      Multi-page layouts are better done and controlled in Indesign

2. Gloria Rosario

Question 01
    There are a few things that I do when I don’t know how to create my vision. First, I like to take a short Break and go for a walk or simply sit still and clear my head. If this doesn’t help, I like to go on Pinterest and look for inspiration there, even if it is not related to what I’m working on. Instagram is also another platform where I get a lot of inspiration. I follow a lot of pages about art , advertising, fashion, etc. Writing things down and sketching is the most important part for me. The moment that I am able to out my ideas In paper is easier to visualize it. Once, I have an idea I just start working immediately and from there I get more ideas and I just keep going. The se processes allow me to come up with more ideas, fresh ideas and if it is not working. I start again but at least I have a momentum going and keep going until I accomplished my goal.

Question 02
    I chose Adobe illustrator ahead of the other softwares when I don’t want to complicated things too much and I want to enjoy what I am doing. Although, when I first started using illustrator I didn’t like it, the pen tool was hard to maneuver and for a while I didn’t use the software. Then i decided to give it another try and now I think that illustrator is one of the easiest and most useful softwares. For some reason I find it very easy to start my projects on illustrator. I really enjoy using it, any project I do on illustrator Is always a lot of fun. One thing that I am absolutely obsessed with is flat character design. I have been watching videos on YouTube and learning so much. Is amazing how much we can do on illustrator. Things that I like to do on this software include; logos, posters, birthday cards, flat designs, business cards, stickers, thank you notes and more.

• Maureen Neuringer

Gloria I agree with the “clearing your head” idea. Taking a step away give you a different perspective. Sometimes I sleep on it.
      Can’t wait to show you pen exercises.

• Bryanna Andrew

Gloria, I completely relate to your comment about using Adobe Illustrator when you want to enjoy working on projects. Illustrator just has this freedom to its workspace that you just can’t quite find or replicate in other Adobe program such as Photoshop or InDesign. I think what makes it so much fun is how forgiving of a program it is and the ability to easily change just about any aspect of your project on the fly. Adobe has made some updates to some of their other programs in order to allow for more of that freedom, but Illustrator is still king.

3. Mike Cipriani

Q1: With graphic design, when I don’t know how to create my vision, I sketch and create thumbnails. For me, the hardest part is looking at a blank canvas and deciding where everything goes, or even what to do; so sketching and letting my thoughts run wild on as many blank canvases as I want helps immensely. After I’m done, I go over those sketches and see what I can salvage, referring to various designs and mixing and matching different elements. If that doesn’t help, I either take a break, or work through the mental blockage, depending on when that specific project is due. Taking a break and coming back to a project later with a clear head can put some fresh ideas out there. But if I’m on a time crunch, or have the determination to get it done, I’ll just start throwing things down onto a page until I get more ideas and a sense of direction. When it comes to vector art and I don’t know how to create my vision, I usually look at other vector artists’ work. It gives me a sense of motivation, seeing what others have created, and I could too if I just put in the time and effort. If I’m tracing something, I like to stare at the image for a bit and mentally map out how I would trace it, like where every curve and anchor point would go, and even what shapes would be on what layers if necessary. If all else fails, I’d get opinions from friends, in and out of the same field as me. Having outside feedback can help with the thought process and get my gears turning.

Q2: I choose Adobe Illustrator over another Adobe software when I need some crisp, clean lines. Of course when I say that, I mean any sort of vector graphics. Whatever I’m creating would need to be shown at any size, and Illustrator is perfect for that. I can always go into Illustrator and increase or decrease the size of the artwork and not lose any resolution quality. I can even make it an SVG, so that it can be resized without the need of Illustrator. Other programs like Photoshop use bitmap graphics, which means that whatever is made would only look good in its original quality. If it were to be enlarged, it would lose quality and become pixelated and blurry. InDesign uses vector graphics like Illustrator, but is more for taking pre-existing assets and organizing them into layouts. Illustrator can be used for creating said assets, whether it be custom typography, an original logo, or tracing something, whether it’s simple or complex.

• Maureen Neuringer

I agree about the crisp clean lines and when you enlarge your work it stays that way in a Vector Program.

• Jennifer Rivas

I agree Mike. Now that you mention that I have a similar motive with vector art. I’m used to sketching ideas rather than doing them online. Having feedback from others too does help a lot. This is why sometimes I’ll start there first and then move to other things like research or Pinterest. With your second response, I like how you speak about the other software from Adobe and why Illustrator is your first option.

4. Iqra Bhatti

Question 01 –The things I will do to create my vision will be to try to solve things by controlling my emotions. I try to overcome problems with solutions. I will be with people who will help me explore new things and let go of the wounds from the past which bring me down. Don’t put any restrictions on yourself. Make sure to make time for yourself first. Bring yourself out with new you. Let yourself feel you have a life to live with your loved ones who will be there for you no matter what. Be honest when expressing your feelings towards someone who is by your side for a good reason. I will also, Find a comfortable, quiet place to spend some time alone. I will learn and discover new things to help myself get busy and give myself some space. Also, I would jot down everything, plan out things and come up with new ideas. I would like to improve my skills.
    Question 02 –
    I will choose Adobe illustrator ahead of the other Adobe software when people need logos for their businesses. For example, how many people have designed logos for famous companies and restaurants? Secondly, I will create business cards for people when they start their business or when they want a new change. I would create it the way they want it, basically, custom-made. I can make menus for restaurants when they open up and I can make posters for many different things. For example, in events and to represent things. I can make ads for different brands, just like the way they want to present it to the world. Also, I can make Brochures for people for several events. For example, for menus, for class projects, and for meetings. Lastly, I can print ads easily and help my customers put a great ad for their brands and businesses.
    Logos
    Business Cards
    Menu
    Posters
    Ads
    Brochures
    Print Ads

Response to Jennifer Rivas
    Hi, Jennifer
    I agree with whatever you said about Illustrator because when we using Illustrator are we dealing with a vector-based design and drawing program for technicians. Illustrator is great to create designs when working with large images, it’s a massive help. I enjoy creating self-portrait illustration menus and logos in Illustrator. Illustrator can be used to create everything from single design elements to complete compositions.

• Maureen Neuringer

Your reply to Jennifer should go under her comments. Good work!

5. Jennifer Rivas

Q1 Response: When I have trouble creating my vision, I ask for guidance. ( This can sometimes be a family member, a friend with the same background, or a professor.) I explain to the individual the concept or task and listen to what they have to say. I take notes and try to envision their point of view. When I feel I have enough notes/ideas I begin my research for my own idea. I’m a very visual learner; so for other times when I need inspiration, I will go on Pinterest and create a mood board. When it comes to creating my own illustrations, I like to collage things, print, and sketch over to make my vision more clear. Other times when I have trouble creating my vision, I pick a color that I enjoy working with and gather a folder with other different shades in that same color to create a design. However, I believe when you are inspired and motivated is when you will do and see your best work. Sometimes when you do not know how to create your vision it can be because you have a lack of understanding of that task. When this occurs I will watch youtube videos, relearn and research again. Overall, it is just a matter of being consistent and patient.

Q2 Response: Illustrator is a great software to use when you want to create your own designs. For example, logo design, character design, posters, and even an icon. For these examples, I would use Adobe Illustrator because it is a vector-based drawing program where I would get a clean airbrushed design rather than using Adobe Indesign or Photoshop. That software would give me more of a pixel base result because the format files would result in JPEGS, RAW, PMG, or RAW. Even though these other programs are easy to learn and work with, it is not the most reliable for artwork or designs when it comes to designing those projects. In Illustrator you can enlarge images without having the image being distorted. Illustrator tends to be more forgiving than Photoshop. If I had a client ask me to create an illustration for an article or magazine cover I’d use Illustrator because the vector platform will help me create the designs I need such as its shaping, color, and typography.

• Maureen Neuringer

Getting feedback from others is very helpful. We will do that in class with our critique.

• Iqra Bhatti

Hi, Jennifer

6. Maureen Neuringer

Test