Despite Calls for Release, Activist in Occupy Case Gets Three Months

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/20/nyregion/occupy-wall-street-protester-sentenced-to-3-months-in-jail.html?ref=nyregion

This is a case brought against a Cecily McMillan, 25, she was charged with hitting an officer in Zuccotti Park in Manhattan in 2012.

Ms. McMillan’s lawyer stated, “You touch a police officer and get the hell beat out of you. That’s what happened to her. That’s enough of a deterrent. Stolar told the judge that the bruises and mental trauma that Ms. McMillan had suffered during her arrest were punishment enough.”

I am not asking about this trial, as to her guilt or innocence. What I am asking about is police brutality. It is not denied that she was beaten badly after hitting the officer, but my question is why must this happen. When arrested it appeared she had seizures, must a person be beaten that badly before being arrested by several officers? As human service professional what thought patterns do we see emerging here? How can we bring about change to police brutality? If they was not officers, and we saw a group of people hitting one individual, what would they be considered? and would this be considered a crime?

One Response to Despite Calls for Release, Activist in Occupy Case Gets Three Months

1. Great page, been searching forever and a day for ideas on the very best rattan furnishings
    for our home and in our patio. This website seriously helpedgreat blog some great info
    here

Look at my website – port royal rattan sofa sets