My Philosophy of Nursing

My nursing philosophy is based on a patient centered approach. I believe that we should treat others the way we want to be treated. This includes caring for people with compassion, integrity and without prejudice. Every patient is a human being with his or her feelings and they need to be surrounded with the kindness of their primary caregivers. Whenever they are hurt, they are vulnerable. It is a whole different experience for a patient to have a caring person next to them, versus someone who just performs a practical part of nursing manipulations. Integrity is another crucial quality in nursing. You have to be honest with yourself and others, and possess the moral decency to know who you are and why you do what you do. In other words, always remember you’re your beliefs are and why you have chosen the path of helping others. Lastly, do not be prejudiced towards others. Do not judge a person by what they wear, assume their status, or guess at what they do with their personal lives. Instead greet them with a smile and provide them the best quality care you can just like you would want if you were in their situation.

The values I want to bring to my practice would include commitment, honesty, individual and professional competency, and privacy. The main goal I would hope to always accomplish is to “do no harm”. In our work we have human lives at stake, so we should always be alert, and if need be double check our orders. Lastly, a nurse has to be culturally competent with clients. It is a great responsibility to advocate for patients; thus we have to be familiar with their culture and belief system.

In my practice I prefer to use Watson’s Theory of Caring, because it preaches love and care for patients. This theory applies to any healthcare professionals who incorporate their love and passion into their practice. No matter what kind of day I am having I will always try to practice this theory because knowledge aside this is the most important idea we should portray.