Community Nursing (4010 HD20)

case

Final Exam: Self-Reflection

My clinical site this semester for the Community class took place at First Steps, located in Brownsville. It is an early education school that serves 58 families and their children from birth to five. It consists of eight classrooms and twenty-five educators with their supporters. My placement was in a 4-year-old room, with two teachers and about 12 children. During the time spent with the children me and my partner Diana assisted kids with brushing their teeth, hand washing, playing, as well as classroom activities that would reinforce children to listen to teachers, pay attention, play games that would help them focus, define shapes and promote learning.

Our group did 4 presentations for the parents on the topics that were most of the concern to the parents, for instance importance of vaccinations, emergency preparedness, asthma action plan, and home safety. These activities were an integral part of our group Service Learning Project. It was divided among 10 members and we all had to communicate via emails and skype to make the best out of this assignment.

My experience with Community Nursing was great. I have learned how important it is for nurses to be involved with their communities’ problems. It is crucial for the community health nurses to apply their knowledge to educate the public on how to be healthier and safer.