Poster & Reflection

Reflection

I find myself reflecting on the incredible journey I’ve had with the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus, and it’s hard to express the depth of my gratitude to Miguel for allowing me to be a part of this remarkable experience. The opportunity to immerse myself in the intricacies of the design process has been nothing short of transformative. This journey has been especially poignant as it contrasts with my background, where designing for monetary shows was the norm. Witnessing Miguel’s creative decision-making in real-time has been a true eye-opener, unveiling new dimensions of the design process.

Shadowing and learning from Miguel’s approach to navigating and selecting lights has added layers of depth to my understanding of the design process. The opportunity to delve into programming aspects of the show during tech week, such as intensity pallets and color pallets, was a hands-on experience that transcended any classroom encounter. Working with moving lights, a realm I hadn’t extensively explored before, brought its own set of challenges and enlightenment.

Challenges inevitably arose along this path, with timing emerging as a significant hurdle. Juggling classes and Work during the crucial rehearsal period, which coincided with the show’s timing, added a layer of stress. Nevertheless, recognizing the importance of rehearsals in understanding blocking, directorial vision, and character development, I made a concerted effort to be present.

Another notable challenge unfolded with Vectorworks during the design process. Navigating this presented a learning curve, yet it offered insights that will undoubtedly contribute to streamlining my future design processes.

Choosing to focus on this project for my Culmination, deviating from my initial plans, has proven to be a wise decision. While I initially envisioned a career solely as a lighting designer, this experience with Miguel has revealed the importance of diversifying perspectives. Learning from another designer’s streamlined process has not only made me a more efficient and versatile designer but has also sparked a realization – the thrill of a live show is what I want to pursue as a career after I graduate.

In conclusion, working with Miguel Valderrama was not just enjoyable but also a valuable learning experience. I got to see firsthand how the entire lighting design process unfolds, from the initial planning to fine-tuning the lights. It was especially rewarding because everything I learned in my lighting courses came together in this culmination. Being part of selecting lights, understanding the nuances of programming, and contributing to the overall visual impact aligned perfectly with the knowledge I gained in my lighting studies. This hands-on collaboration served as a practical application of what I learned in class, reinforcing and enriching my understanding of lighting design and programming.

Looking ahead, I am enthusiastic about the prospect of continuing to improve my skills in this dynamic industry. The challenges faced during this journey have only fueled my desire to delve deeper into the world of live show production. I am genuinely passionate about honing my craft and aspire to secure a full-time role in this industry where I can contribute to creating memorable and visually stunning live experiences. The journey doesn’t end here; it’s a stepping stone to a future where I can contribute to the magic of live performances.