Working Together vs. Working Alone

Work together or work alone, is that a question that occurs in your work environment? That kind of situation is one that many employees don’t even have the choice to make at times. It’s important to understand what to do if and when you are placed to work with a partner. For the first half of my internship at Flushing Town Hall, I was able to work with a partner on Wednesday’s where as I would work alone on Friday’s.

The ability to work with a partner while designing is great because I have another pair of eyes right beside me to review my current drafts and give me appropriate advice. For my ventures outside the office, I had my partner beside me to help distribute multiple flyers within Queen’s neighborhoods. A task of that caliber would be daunting by myself compared to a two-man team.

It’s great to have a team partner, but it’s also important to understand that both parties will have to sacrifice to have a good withstanding partnership. Respect one another’s space and perform when told to so, and I believe you will be able to build strong partnerships. Depending on which side of the spectrum you prefer to be on, I’d suggest working on whichever makes you more uncomfortable as it will give you the experience you need when you reach the professional work-field.

In my opinion, I enjoy working on my own because I can take the lead and plan out what I want to do in steps, where as if I was on a team I need to break up the project into different parts to then decide who will be taking on different tasks and relying on others to complete those tasks.