Post 5 Quest.#2

The House on Mango Street.

2. Describe the various aspects of the narrator’s identity (race, class, gender, sexuality, etc.)? How do these elements contribute to our understanding of the text’s theme(s)?

At the beginning of the story, Esperanza is describing how she is moving from place to place and at the same time complaining of not having a real house and everybody sleeping in one room. From what she was describing it seems that her family is the hard working class that’s having economic problems and finding a nice house for everybody to leave peacefully. I think this is normal for a family that has the American dream, working hard and living temporarily at different places, later on I think she will see the results of working hard. Also I think that her being Hispanic would understand the fact that her family is working hard, but she keeps complaining about “this” and “that” and doesn’t get use to the fact that they are a family that’s trying to progress, slowly but progressing on an unknown land. I also think Esperanza sounds ashame of the history of her name and from who she got it from. I think she should appreciate more of what she has because others would love to be in her place and have a home.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 5. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Post 5 Quest.#2

1. Jodikg says:

i kind of disagree, they family moving place to places shows that they are poor.

2. Rachel says:

I completely agreed regarding the speculations of the “American Dream.” In order to receive an individual’s wants and needs, it requires much hardships and struggles for one to face, undergo and dealt with. However, through all those difficult obstacles, an reward is at the end of the finish line.