Question # 2

I personally think David’s placement role is oppressed. The reason being is he’s in a confusion of his identity, identity crisis. He’s uncertain what’s right and wrong within in his life, and the decision(s) he’s making. Despite the fact he wants to be with Giovanni, however he does not want to leave Hella because of his homosexuality issues. He’s frightened being in this so-called “normality” because of his past with Joe up until meeting Giovanni. It is as if he is obliged to be in this “mythical norm” regarding his homosexuality. Something inside of him, it is constricting him from being expressive rather than hiding it, accepting it. He cannot fully acknowledge himself being “different” and the events happening to him.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 2. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Question # 2

1. Rocio says:

I totally agree with you. Not only was he frightened by not being “normal” but afraid that his dad wont accept him by who he really was, he didn’t wanted the relationship with dad to go from (worst —>hate). I also think that by him not accepting himself by who he really was, he became miserable and didn’t really care about himself much.

2. Rocio says:

3. I love how you brought in the concept of the “mythical norm,” Rachel!

4. Jenny Phan says:

I agree with you. He is frightened to stand up for himself because he wants to fit into the norm. I also think he won’t be able to handle the pressure, if someone found out that he is homosexual. He cares what others think about him more than being himself.