Question 6 Post 2

Giovanni’s room approaches homosexuality in a very subtle way to me. The novel starts of with the death of Dave’s mother, then moves on to the joey incident, has a bad relation ship with the father, moves to Paris where he meets a girl and Giovanni. This gives me the idea that James Baldwin was Building up or giving us hints that Dave was always meant to be gay. But at the same time James constantly makes Dave conflict him self. He’s not sure how he feels about the Joey incident so Dave pushes Joey away, then he leaves his home not just because of his bad relationship with his father but because he want to forget about what had happened there. He tries to meet new women and then they all end badly. He also at one point talks about how he feels about gay people.  All of this gives me the idea that James Baldwin not only might have he been doing some charter development but he  as well an explaining a internalized homophobia with himself. James left the states because he was a gay black man and Dave left because he was a gay and his fear or rejection or disappointment from his father.  Both were gay and both were scared of some sort of rejection.

Alex Vicuna

This entry was posted in Blog Post 2. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Question 6 Post 2

1. Jodikg says:

I some what agree with you but i think David was in denial that he is gay because he had to have sex with a girl to see if he was still straight.

2. Anwar says:

Although James’ life and Giovanni’s sound similar we are not sure how James was affected as a black gay man whereas David is a conflicted white man who does not want to accept the fact he finds guys attractive. Also back then you can get arrested for homosexuality acts so in a way he could have been running away from that just like you said this they were scared of rejection.

3. Anwar says:

4. I think your a little to caught up with the gay portion and not realizing that he probably left to find himself as a person, to try to start anew rather then mold his old life into what he wants. but good analysis tho my boi lol