5)  I think race play a small part in this book because the book is mostly talking about the gay activities during that time period. The significance of David being white is that fact he can travel to Paris and that his father can send him money without a problem. I figure that Joey was a white boy because he and David was best friends and also the civil right movement was in that time period. I believe Giovanni was white too because he talk about when he was young he lived in Italy. I think the purposes behind the racial choices is that black people is not also the one struggling. Some white people struggle with homosexuality. They know society label gays as wrong and inhuman so some of them be in denial that they are gay.

Jodi Grant

This entry was posted in Blog Post 2. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to

1. Anwar says:

I agree that race might be play a smart part in the story and that we often forget David is even white (the cover of the book tends to make us think that James in the main character) we get confused. The only dark skinned african in the story was Joey and all we know is that he slept with David and was bullied by him through out high school.

2. clema1992 says:

Race definitely plays a huge part in this novel. If David was African American, he probably would not have been able to do half the things that white David did and gotten away with it.

3. savitri says:

Yes race play a small part in the story, David is treated differently and have more privilege than the average black man. He is able to travel and have many experiences!